Noob needs suggestions on UV Mapping

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Unhappy Noob needs suggestions on UV Mapping

Hello!

Had to make a low poly model, but I'm very bad at UV Mapping (thus far), I need some suggestions on how to unwrap this object efficiently

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks.

04 April 2013
Try out roadkill uv. http://www.pullin-shapes.co.uk/page8.htm. It's super easy to use.
The standalone version should work fine.

When you open it load your obj, then hit the e key, then select edges you want to be seams and hit the c key.

You can double click an edge to select the loop.

You can weld edges you've already cut with the w key.

I recommend you enable Switches>Don't select back faces.

Last edited by jgibz : 04 April 2013 at 02:56 PM.

04 April 2013
You know whats the thing with UV Mapping?. I would say that only UV Mapping for characters is generally done in the same way. The rest is just a big game of how i want this or how i want that, where do i want most of my details, how do i avoid stretching, how i want to create the texture... its all just one big personal preference panel when it comes to UV.
You can make your UVs in many different ways, there isn't just a general UV way-to-be-done. (only for characters in my opinion).
What you can do that always helps is using a checker texture in your model while you create the UVs, that way you could easily understand where do you have the streching and distortion of the texture.

04 April 2013
Try out Headus UVLayout. Its supercool and many people taking it as a favourite tool.

04 April 2013
The UV editor in Maya is hard and messy. UVLayout is fun and you get better results.

But if you really want to learn Maya UV editor, walk through some youtube tutorials.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by Seehr: You know whats the thing with UV Mapping?. I would say that only UV Mapping for characters is generally done in the same way. The rest is just a big game of how i want this or how i want that, where do i want most of my details, how do i avoid stretching, how i want to create the texture... its all just one big personal preference panel when it comes to UV.
You can make your UVs in many different ways, there isn't just a general UV way-to-be-done. (only for characters in my opinion).
What you can do that always helps is using a checker texture in your model while you create the UVs, that way you could easily understand where do you have the streching and distortion of the texture.

I agree, a texture with checkers and numbers or letters on it will help you see flipped normals and stretching issues in maya. It's also a good way to visually ensure that multiple parts or uv groups of the character are approximate in scale.

Uv work on Characters isn't much of an exception in my opinion, aside from maybe creating a larger texture space for the face, or for larger pieces of geometry.

Originally Posted by Zhbdcafe: Try out Headus UVLayout. Its supercool and many people taking it as a favourite tool.

If you can afford it, get it. I usually like to start in roadkill with statics like the op is working with. I find the flattening in Headus is good for a secondary flattening pass on organics. But overall I find roadkill more intuitive to start a map with.

04 April 2013
Listen to jgibz ,.

04 April 2013
You have all been super helpful, thank you!

As a side note, I've been dong A LOT of Maya tutorials and have gone from fearing/hating the program to really enjoying it! I'm sure I'll be posting more often in the future haha.

Thanks again

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread