CGTalk > Software > Autodesk 3ds max
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 12-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #1
Maleny, Australia
How to change gamma of multi sub object

So I have created a model that has a multi sub object material applied to it. The multi sub object consists of a series of standard materials each with a diffuse colour. No textures.
The gamma on everything in my scene looks fine when rendered with a gamma 2.2 setup. However this particular model looks terrible. But the model looks fine with 1 gamma, although with 1 gamma the rest of the scene looks crap then.

So I am wondering how I can change the gamma of this particuar object.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
I think you'll have to change the gamma of the individual bitmaps in the materials on that object.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
Yes, you need to put a color correction node in the diffuse slot and set the gamma to 1, or load a texture of your flat color and set the gamma manually when you select it.
Not sure how default diffuse color react to LWF. Pretty bad obviously.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
na, Australia
To answer this correctly we would need to know how you have your gamma setup, what renderer you are using mental ray or vray and if you are using just diffuse color in you materials of your model or images of some sort.

The most likely source of error here since your model is ok with one gamma setting and not the other but the rest of your scene is vice versa is your gamma setting.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:59 AM   #5
Maleny, Australia
I am rendering the scene with Affect colour selectors and material editor on, and input and output gamma set to 2.2. This is what it looks like and is the look I want:

However the sword he is holding should look like this:
This sword picture is rendered with the same settings but with bitmap input and output both set to 1.

As I said in my first post before. The model (the sword) has a multi-sub object material on applied to it. With different standard materials within it. Each of these materials just has a diffuse colour on it, so the 'pixels' are coloured.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
Peter Blackearth
3D Generalist
Sofia, Bulgaria
Is the gamma actually on? Set to 2.2? If so,you don't need to change the gamma of the individual materials. This is what the input gamma and "affect colors" are for. All you have to do is either darken, or lighten the colors, according to ur preferences.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread