CGTalk > Software > Autodesk Maya > Maya Character Setup
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #16
onetime
Frequenter

I understand the character definition pretty well. I made substantial changes to geometry and really didn't want to rebuild the rig from scratch, so that's why I started with HiK. The skeleton maker works great, and I can immediately assign the control rig and everything works pretty much as I would expect. I was also able to characterize the CMU Motionbuilder BVH files via a template definition. That is a little trickier because they seem to have some overlapping / redundant joints in there.

Thanks for clarifying the purpose of the Custom Rig tab. That makes a lot more sense than my first impression. I tried it out with my older traditional rig and it seems to work okay. I'd rebuild the old version, but it's a lot of work and I'd miss out on full-body IK. I love being able to go from skeleton to complete rig in two clicks. I always wanted to try The Setup Machine... maybe that would save me some trouble.

Do you think that relying solely on the built-in HiK control rig is even feasible, or if I would be better off building my own? Seems like that may be the way to go, especially since I think it would be compatible with the ATOM or ANIM file workflow for when I get to the point where I want to start assembling sequences.

One thing I really don't like about the built-in HiK control rig is how I'm apparently keyframing the whole body even though I only want to keyframe a single controller. When I grab a controller and try to delete the keyframe, it deletes all the keyframes for the whole body. I have a hell of a time making adjustments to areas that aren't behaving. Maybe it's better in MoBu.

Yeah I think we're talking about the same joint rotation issues. On the T-Pose frame, everything's good, but all the other frames have the head rotated 180 in two axis or something weird like that. I think you're thinking of the Euler filter, but that didn't help much for me. At least it's not me screwing something up.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll keep trying and hopefully I can navigate to a workable solution. I definitely owe you a beer!

Old 04-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #17
cineartist
Student Of The Craft

portfolio
Richard Culver
Hayward, USA

Well keyframing with HIK is itself another issue.

First of all it is probably a good idea to understand that you are dealing with IK and FK. I am not going to go into all of that here because frankly it is still a little new to me as far as experience goes in this HIK system. I think you might want to read up on that further if you have not already. But just to say that when you key a controller you are also creating joint rotation keyframes and this can then be controlled with the IK FK sliders.

So what you want to get your whits around are the IK (R & T)Blend as well as the Pull sliders.

[EDIT: You can test this very easily, because I think by default, if you create a hand gesture from point A to point B even though it is IK, when you play it back you'll see the hand move in an arc. If you then move the IK T Slider to 1 and play it back the hand will move straight to point B]

A lot of the power and flexibility with this system will come from understanding how to use those to your advantage, is how I see it.

Then secondly, just like in other traditional hand keying methods, you usually want to control what you are keying. In Maya you can use the icons for "Selection" , "Body Parts" and "Full Body just like you can in MB. But I am not sure how to go further and just key T or R like you can in MB. I am sure you can.

So this is how you control what is keyed or what is deleted. And from there you can do similar techniques to traditional animation where you might block things out (full body) and then selectively remove keys of certain controllers, create offset keys and all of that to get more fluid motion.

So really I am not the biggest expert in this. It is just that I have been studying it for a while and I understand the basics. Hopefully that will change in the coming months as I dive further into production with it.

My suggestion would be to crack open the manual and give it a good look on the HIK system. and then do some tutorials like at Lydia or Digital Tutors,even free stuff on YouTube.

Last edited by cineartist : 04-30-2013 at 05:47 PM.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #18
onetime
Frequenter

Yes, it appears I just needed to change from Full Body mode to Body Part or Selection in order to delete keyframes on a certain component. I understood those options in theory, but I guess I wasn't understanding how to use them properly. I'll definitely spend some more time in the documentation going forward.

I'm going to try and stick with the HiK system because it just feels very efficient and powerful. I think we've covered the main sticking points that I will need to overcome, at least for now. Thanks again.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #19
cineartist
Student Of The Craft

portfolio
Richard Culver
Hayward, USA

Yeah I agree, it does seem very powerful. It is a different way to work and probably not the best solution for more stylized cartoon animation, but for other stuff it definitely has advantages.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #20
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread