LW char animation demo thread

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

04 April 2005
I found a great IK Tutorial on the web, Still working out a few bugs with it tho.. even setting limits on each bone I get unwanted shifting... If you want the tutorial Email me, I don't think they want me posting it all over the place

radboi22@yahoo.com

12 December 2006
Originally Posted by SplineGod: As Gary mentioned it apparently is no more. You never know if Mark will bring it back or not.
However, it has been my experience that plugin developers, like nature, abhor a vacuum. It would surprise me if something pops up to replace it.

Brotje,
Theres LOTS of ways to get muscle deformations even easier then the lwhub tutorial.
Once way is to create a muscle bone or bones, tweak them when the arm bends and then use cycler to tie the behavior to the rotation of another bone. You can also use morphs, clothfx, KO_Polyfit and Shift Spline Transform to do muscle deformations.
Heres an example using Shift Spline Transform.

Looks intruiging Larry but I'm not sure how you've done it as I'm not familiar with "Shift Spline Transfor". Must do some research.
I have actually purchased your 'rigging a quadraped CD' but have only recently had time to follow the first part. I'm going to be hitting it hard over the Xmas period though so I'll let you know how I get on.

BTW are there any admins reading this thread? I think it should be a sticky in the main LW forum as I only just found this thread by luck. I think it's a great thread for counteracting the 'LW doesn't do character animation' prejudice that some people have.

homepage:www.anthonyrosbottom.com

12 December 2006
You know, after looking at some of the examples in here (done years back, no less), I have a hard time understanding why people bag on LW's CA tools. They're quirky for sure, but it seems a person who sets out to achieve a goal can do so with what's there.

Are there any folks out there using LW for CA right now who could post more recent examples of their work in this thread? Also, since LW 9 was released and a lot of plugins were lost between 7.5 and 9 (according to various threads), what are people using now to do CA in pure LW, and what changes did folks have to make since the v9 upgrade?

12 December 2006
[QUOTE=kattkieru]You know, after looking at some of the examples in here (done years back, no less), I have a hard time understanding why people bag on LW's CA tools. They're quirky for sure, but it seems a person who sets out to achieve a goal can do so with what's there.

QUOTE]

Primarily because a lot of the character tools don't talk to each other or once down a road there is no turning back but rather starting completely over.

12 December 2006
Originally Posted by Mike RB: This is what I used:

http://forum.lwhub.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=327

Mike

I got a bogus link that said something about the site being hacked. There were no links or anything.

01 January 2007
Smile

whooosh.....
what was that?
...that was free speech mate....seems it's not welcome any longer so it's off on holiday!

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

06 June 2008
Oh! ... Amazing work i like verymuch ...

08 August 2008
Well I'm none the wiser. The animations look awesome for sure but I was hoping they would be accompanied by tutorials or specific information on how to achieve the same results.

I've just started learning Lightwave and seriously if I want to see killer animations then I can simply go down the video store and rent a movie like Shrek. Lightwave has been used in heaps of commercial animation movies (that's why I moved to the product!!!).

I want to know HOW to do them... in infinite detail... as I'm well aware WHAT lightwave can do. It's like a secret society. You can get a zillion gigabytes of Maya tutorials on the web showing how to do anything you could dream of but most of the Lightwave stuff is just bits and pieces without much detail.

My bible is Timothy Albee's book Character Animation but it's for an older version of Lightwave and it still glosses over heaps of stuff (like why he prefers skelegons to Layout boning). Without that book I would have given up by now because even after spending a week reading and watching all the lightwave tutorials I could find (mostly u-tube and the product documentation) I'm still totally confused by stuff like weight maps. Mine just break everything I've built.

m0ng00se

11 November 2008
i can`t see it,it is all of .

reply share thread