Old 03-29-2013, 05:38 AM   #1
lyzarts
Veteran
portfolio
lyz
3D Creator
USA

ncloth not simulating on playback

I've created an ncloth shirt. When I hit playback, the shirt does not start to sim and fall to the floor. I've checked that:
  • the timeline plays every frame
  • that the nucleus node starts at the beginning of the timeline
  • that there is no history on the mesh
  • made sure the input mesh is visible
  • started the playback at the beginning of the timeline
  • restarted maya

My timeline starts at a negative number. Would this effect it? I honestly don't know why it would, but this is Maya I'm talking about...

If I can only get it to start siming, I can start tweaking. :/

Old 03-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
harefort
digital janitor
sascha herfort
technical artist
crytek
frankfurt, Germany

A few things that come to mind:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyzarts
[*]made sure the input mesh is visible

You want your "current mesh" to be visibile. That's the one that the nCloth nodes spits out.

Quote:
My timeline starts at a negative number. Would this effect it? I honestly don't know why it would, but this is Maya I'm talking about...

Give it a shot, to see if it work when you set the nucleus start time to frame 0.

Also one thing that I always get is that my gravity is too low.
Our scenes are set up in centimenters, whereas nucleus' default values assume meters, so I need to multiply the gravity by 100.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
djx
Where's my pony?

David Johnson
vfx & creature td
Melbourne, Australia

Quote:
When I hit playback, the shirt does not start to sim and fall to the floor
I'm gonna ignore you said "input mesh visibile" and assume that was just a typo. However I the line I quoted above is kind of ambiguous. Did you mean "it does not start to sim and does not fall to the floor"? Because if it falls to the floor it is simulating, right?

If it really doesnt sim though... check nucleus and nCloth are enabled. Maybe thats too obvious, but it wasnt on your check-list.

Negative start numbers have always worked for me, so it is probably not that. One thing that does happen from time to time is I somehow end up with the start of the time line set to something like 1.01, when I could swear I set it to 1.0. Might be a bug, or human error. Not sure. But it means that the cloth is not rewinding correctly.

Rather than messing with gravity to adjust for the meters cms thing, I find it easier to simply set the space scale to 0.01

David

Old 03-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
lyzarts
Veteran
portfolio
lyz
3D Creator
USA

Quote:
Did you mean "it does not start to sim and does not fall to the floor"? Because if it falls to the floor it is simulating, right?

Sorry, yes, I meant that. It didn't start to sim by falling to the floor. Must have been tired.

I clicked a button on the ncloth tab that says "display input mesh." When I click "display current mesh," the shirt disappears, which is why I thought I needed the input mesh. This brings me to the question of where my current mesh went...

Old 03-30-2013, 03:44 AM   #5
lyzarts
Veteran
portfolio
lyz
3D Creator
USA

Ok, this is just bizarre. I found the solution by exporting my shirt mesh as obj, attaching an ncloth to it in a bare scene. This worked. Then I saved it as .ma file and imported into my animation file. Now it works normally. Bizarre.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
Castius
Scott Lange

Scott Lange
USA

This can happen with bad geometry. By exporting to OBJ you cleaned the geo of errors.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread