Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
andoneus
portfolio
United Kingdom

Bump Map / UV problem

Hello!

I'm currently working on the material of my character and I'm having problems with setting up the bump map. I basically keep getting these seams along the legs and ears. The character has been UV-mapped in accordance to the textures, so I understand that using the bump map with this map isn't going to work. However, I tried to create another UV-map with the auto-projection and connect this to the bump map - it still didn't fix the seams.

Does anyone know what the best way of getting rid of the seams would be? The bump map is the simple noise texture in maya so surely there should be a way to make it continious? Is there perhaps a way to make it procedural (?) so that it wouldn't be dependant on any UV-maps?

Thank you!

Here's a picture. I have hidden the actual textures of the materials so that the problem can be seen better.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
tswalk
Expert

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

you will have to rebuild the UV map so that the seams are in locations not easily visible.. like behind the ear, along a transition point (like where the hair part of the ear meets the inner fleshy part) or bottom side/inside of the legs.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
andoneus
portfolio
United Kingdom

Thank you for your reply!

This is what I thought as well but I actually found an easier way around it. I was using a 2d noise texture before, however when I replaced it with the 3D Volume noise texture it works fine.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

That could be a problem if your character moves. Properly unwrapping your UV is a much better way if you plan to do anything else with your character.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
andoneus
portfolio
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panupat
That could be a problem if your character moves. Properly unwrapping your UV is a much better way if you plan to do anything else with your character.

Hmm, could you tell me more on how this could become a problem?
The bump map I'm using is very simple, here's a new picture.

Last edited by andoneus : 02-25-2013 at 04:08 PM.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
VB2341
Frequenter
portfolio
Varun Bajaj
Troy, US

Using 3D textures can be dangerous because of how they are placed. If you've noticed the little cube that is created when you use a 3D texture, you can see why this is important. Select that cube, and move it around. Conversely, select your character mesh, and move that. You'll notice that the mesh seems to slide through the texture. This is because the 3D texture applies itself fixed in world space. So if the mesh deforms, and the surface of it is moving, you will see this sliding effect. The solution to this is to just bake the 3D texture into a 2D file texture, which, if done properly, should make your seams irrelevant, while still allowing you to not have to worry about UV unwrapping. Now, if the UV unwrapping is pretty bad, then doing this might still look bad, as the projected 2D texture may not have enough space in texture space (texels), this can be somewhat solved by using a larger map size, but you shouldn't be using a 4k+ map unless you have some really detailed textures, or are rendering at a rather high resolution.

That said, if you're really looking to learn this stuff, a good UV unwrap is important (especially if you're looking to use these assets in games). I suppose if your pipeline permits, you might get away with using Ptex, but I don't think that will fly in most places just yet.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #7
stallion151
constipated CG

M
Australia

if the character has deformation use a texture reference object
if the character has transformation use the local checkbox in the 3d texture node.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread