darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

Any way to fix this?

Ok, so I've had issues with corrupted files before, but why the hell did this happen? I was working on a file and the computer froze, no big deal I hadn't been doing much for long, so I restarted and then went to go back to a previous file that I had been working on previously in the same session but it was corrupted as well. Why is this a thing? It seems like an extremely stupid design flaw. I can understand issues with the scene you've got open but there's no reason that it should be screwing with files you aren't using at all.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
MGernot
Expert

portfolio
Gernot Melichar
Austria

Maybe because this previous file was already corrupted as well?
Maybe you didn`t noticed it, because when working along on a project and saving incremental
versions of it you always work with the latest file and rarely go back to a previous saved?

I think most file corruptions are coming from 3rd party plugins.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

No that's not it. I had started up 3ds Max and opened a file, done a bunch of work and then saved it. Then I opened a different file which I saved as a new iteration and then I merged in some objects from the first file where I had done a bunch of work. Then I was doing some new stuff in the new file and Windows crashed, yet when I started up again and tried to open the first file which wasn't open at the time and wasn't in any way being used it was corrupted as well as the new iteration I had made. There were no plugins involved.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:07 AM   #4
JohnnyRandom
Configurator

portfolio
John Rand
still wandering the binary void
salt lake city, USA

Gees who knows, I have seen this as well, a win crash + corrupt file. Just curious, were you working in isolation mode by any chance?

Are the autobak's trashed too?

Old 12-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

I wasn't working in isolation mode, I don't think 3ds Max caused the crash, it just happened to be running at the time. I don't use Autobak since it slows things down and can happen at really bad moments. Plus there's been times where it'll mess things up. That's why I always save iterations myself. I think even with the autobak files it would have corrupted it. I think it's probably something where it temporarily stores data for a file within a file itself while you are using it and so perhaps it still had data for that file loaded since I hadn't closed 3ds Max since I had changed to a different file. I'd rather it not corrupt files though than to have a minor increase in file load times for previously loaded files.
The file also won't merge, it just does nothing at all when I try that. Seems like since they changed the format to be able to support the multiple versions then it should be able to recover more of a file, since most of the file should be fine.

Oh well, maybe it'll be fixed in the next version, though I doubt it considering issues like these have been around since I first started using 3ds Max 10 years ago.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:47 PM   #6
JohnnyRandom
Configurator

portfolio
John Rand
still wandering the binary void
salt lake city, USA

I did not mean to imply that max actually caused windows to crash.

I was simply curious if you were in Isolation mode at the time of the crash.

We all know any smart artists iterates their scenes. I tend to agree about awkward timing for autobak, especially when working with multi-gigbyte scene files. I would still use it regardless and just set the iteration duration to an hour or two or whatever, instead of the default 5.0 minutes, and instead of not using it. 20+ autobak files at an hour each gives you yesterdays work, hence possibly saving your ass who knows how many days of work, that's all. We all work different, that's just my two cents on the subject. I have turned it off plenty of times and screwed myself just as much.

What is strange it the fact that your older iterations are corrupt as well, meaning really something happened earlier in time OR you are accessing a corrupt external object within the scene. Max does not hold anything open other than the current scene, maps, scripts, ect. AFAIK.

Who knows chalk it up to digital voodoo

Old 12-31-2012, 05:43 AM   #7
thethule
whataguy!
portfolio
Marc Khachfe
3d animator
Zebra Crossing
North London, United Kingdom

Unfortunately, this is a huge bug that AD has never addressed and the reason i save with as every time i make a big change and i end up with 100s of max files. 3dsmax will corrupt files left right and centre. If it crashes while its saving, goodbye file. Its even corrupted the backup files a few times.

It wont be fixed, so just be aware of it and save incrementely.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:44 AM   #8
thethule
whataguy!
portfolio
Marc Khachfe
3d animator
Zebra Crossing
North London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRandom
What is strange it the fact that your older iterations are corrupt as well, meaning really something happened earlier in time OR you are accessing a corrupt external object within the scene. Max does not hold anything open other than the current scene, maps, scripts, ect. AFAIK.

Who knows chalk it up to digital voodoo

Yep, this has happened to me too. Max corrupted the file is was saving at the time AS WELL as the backup files... My projects these days have hundreds of max files because i dont trust the software to save properly anymore.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:47 PM   #9
WaseemOnLiNe
Step forward

portfolio
Waseem Dabbas
3D Artist - Teacher
Freelancer
Istanbul, Turkey

Send a message via MSN to WaseemOnLiNe Send a message via Yahoo to WaseemOnLiNe
What about autoback files, did you check them?
Did you try to merge that corrupt files into a new file?
I used to save each project at least 3 copies by using '+' button next to file name while in save window for this matter.
My Facebook Page

Old 01-01-2013, 12:16 AM   #10
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

I don't use the autobak save system as I said before, it's got all kinds of problems. The Maxbak.bak was saved over from the newer file (since I had saved a different file since I had saved the file that got corrupted, both are corrupted).

I did end up being able to recover part of it, Windows has some backup options when it saves restore points, by going to the properties for a file there's a Previous Versions option and it had a backup version, it was before my big changes but at least I didn't loose absolutely everything I had done since the last iteration I had saved.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:20 AM   #11
pixelforge
Frequenter

Chip Matthews
Generalist
O-Zone, Inc.
Grand Rapids, USA

This happens to me also when I have a computer freeze. Rarely, but often enough to fill me with dread whenever I have to do a reset of my workstation. It happens to autoback files too, more often than to the main file. I think sometimes when autoback saves it will actually cause a freeze on my admittedly unstable machine. Because of that I have autoback set to a pretty short interval and six files so I never lose more than 20-30 minutes of work. Autoback can be a pain but not using it can be far more painful.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:20 AM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread