Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 11-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
justjr
portfolio
Charlier JeanRay
odiaxere, Portugal

3ds max bulge nightmare!

I am designing a comic book (cartoon), using 3ds max 8.
See it at http://r44.web2coders.com
After many trials and error, I am now capable of adding physics to a character (mesh), to pose it the way I want.
However, I have problems with bending links: it creates "holes" where it should not.
I read all the manuals and tutorials possible, but I CANNOT understand head or tail of ANY explanation on how to use the bulge editor to give a bending arm/finger to "look" real!
Can anyone help???
(Ideally, get one of my character with its physics and show me how the bulges should be made... :-))
Thanks
JR

Old 11-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
ramissin
Veteran

portfolio
Richard Missin
Professional Drinker / Freelance Gynecologist
Leeds, GB

Have you tried Di-O-Matic plugins ? There's a free one available called Bulge-O-Matic

http://www.di-o-matic.com/products/plugins/BulgeOMatic/

Also take a look at Bones Pro

http://www.bonespro.com/

One of those should fix your problem

Old 11-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
justjr
portfolio
Charlier JeanRay
odiaxere, Portugal

Thanks for the tip! I'll download it and experiment. We'll see.
(In the meantime, I correct these errors... with pen and pencil! :-) MUCH faster! )

Old 11-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
justjr
portfolio
Charlier JeanRay
odiaxere, Portugal

Nogood...

Not muck luck, again. Downloaded the plug-ins, but the problem is that I have NO IDEA how to use them. No manual, no tutorials, no examples. It is fine to see that you have 50 parameters to work with, but if you don't know WHAT these parameters DO, they are useless...
I tried to upload a sample of what I am doing, but file is too large.
Please, go to http://r44.web2coders.com and click "TECH" tab. The JP character is there to download. (JP-PHY.ZIP) If SOMEONE could TEACH me (by sample, maybe), how to make it work, I would be grateful.
Thank you!
JR

Old 11-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
MGernot
Expert

portfolio
Gernot Melichar
Austria

It seems to me that you are lacking the basics of rigging/skinning.
Do yourself a favor and start with some tutorial about skinning in 3dsmax.

This here is really great:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrutbhglsMw

And stop using the Physique modifier.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
justjr
portfolio
Charlier JeanRay
odiaxere, Portugal

Skinning

I have tried to learn physics for many weeks, until I read that physics was not maintained any longer, and was replaced by Skinning. So, for weeks, I studied all skinning tutorials, practicing on whatever I could, but NEVER managed it either. I found a beautiful free model that worked perfectly... using physics. So I returned to physics, and, for the first time, I managed something. All together, I have been using 3DS Max for a few years (3, 4?). I have done as many tutorials as I could find, learned the "Bible" tutorial...
and I got nowhere.
Tutorials are good for ONE project, ONE model: the one that is used in the tutorial. They say "set this parameter to 123, that one to 256, that other to 3.65". And that gives the required result. But when you try to apply the same tutorial to another scene, it simply does not work. The reason is that we do not know what the parameters are for!
I needed a terrain, searched the tutorials, found SIX different ways of doing them (including using "garment" (!?) - but that is quite a good one!). I make exactly the same as the tutorial, but applied to MY terrain (which has the same features), all I get is rubbish.

Definitely, NO, I have not understood anything about "Rigging"! Since I am an Dr. in Engineering with 45 years experience, computer programmer for over 40, I think I should have the necessary basics to achieve what I want. But, no... So, WHAT am I missing???? (or "where am I going wrong?")
Thank you for listening and any advice you can give me (except to quit: I never quit...)

JR
PS: I'll have another go at skinning...

Old 11-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
justjr
portfolio
Charlier JeanRay
odiaxere, Portugal

To MGERNOT:
Very sorry, but I cannot use any youtube tutorials: these guys know too well what they are doing, and are no "tutors": they go so fast that students cannot follow. To follow, you must pause the video every tutor mouse's move, making sure you understand where and what the mouse is doing! Impractical.
A good teacher goes down to the student level and brings him up. I have been a teacher too, for kids in their teens as well as to university students. I know what works and what does not.
No offense intended.
JR

Old 11-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread