Where can I find home interior models that Maya can read?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
Where can I find home interior models that Maya can read?

I need to render a few home interiors with furniture. Mainly dining room and living room. I did a bunch of research on the net and found good looking models on turbosquid, creativecash and evermotion. But most of them are 3ds models saved in .max format which Maya cannot read. I found a couple that had a .obj version but those came in without shaders and textures attached.

Is there a place where one can purchase a good collection of interiors that will read with shaders and textures correctly attached in Maya?

Thank you for any help.

Bo

10 October 2013
Evermotion now has a Maya Version of their models too. With Scene file textured and lit (i think its in vray)

10 October 2013
Thank you Ftaswin.

I looked into it and found one collection that is available in Maya. But you are correct, it is setup for Vray. How easy is it to convert a Vray scene inot one that can be rendered in Mental Ray?

Bo

10 October 2013
Modeling interiors is actually pretty easy, even with Maya. If you spent a day or two modeling, you could bang out your own with ease! Give it a shot.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

10 October 2013
Thanks InfernalDarkness.

Modeling interiors is indeed not that difficult. And I've done plenty.

But, as you know, lookdev'ing a complete interior with properly adjusted shaders and high quality uv based maps for a fully photoreal render is a very time consuming process. And, unless one needs a very specific custom piece, I think it makes good sense to see if someone has already spent the time to do it and I am happy to share the amortized cost with other people needing the same thing.

Last edited by Bmachine : 10 October 2013 at 05:51 PM.

10 October 2013
If you know how to set shaders you don't need to look at Vray's material at all. Having all textures ready to go already cut down a huge chunk of your work.

10 October 2013
Thanks Panupat.

That is very true. But the scene I bought has loads of primitives and they are not labeled and not grouped properly. So it would take time to hunt each one and rename them, group them and finally create, assign and dial a photoreal shader. Certainly not impossible, but if there is a more automated way to do it, it would cut down on re-inventing the wheel time.

But you are correct in that it is an option that would work.

10 October 2013
I concur that it can be time-consuming, but one thing that saves me tons of time is using an established material library. I use ShaderMonger, but there are plenty of other good ones. Thus for my interiors I have base countertop granites and marbles to work with, tile materials for matte field tiles and also glassy accent tiles, and of course all the woods, glasses, and metals.

Often the only struggle for me is to achieve good lighting when using new lights, such as glass bathroom vanity lights and funky fixtures. It does depend on the complexity of your scene, for certain - most of my work are simple bathrooms, kitchens, and sometimes outdoor decks. So often I just open up a prior project, save it as a new project name/location, and then delete all the superfluous geometry before importing my new stuff from Rhino. Then it's just a matter of repositioning the already-working Portal Lights and fixture lights, and slapping down the base materials. Far less struggle, that way, but I'm sure not everyone has scores of previous project files to work from, so it sure can be tedious from scratch.

I do tend towards a bit of modeling elitism, not that I'm a great modeler but I almost always prefer my own clean Rhino models over anything online. Unless you're purchasing premium content from Turbosquid or Evermotion for example, you often get cabbage (which is "garbage" in New Jersey!) and end up remodeling it anyway, especially with say kitchen appliances you're referencing from Sketchup or something.

I ramble.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

11 November 2013
Informative rambling however! ;-)

All very good points.

11 November 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread