Using Blender is like thearapy ....thanks guys!!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Red face Using Blender is like thearapy ....thanks guys!!

I'm a novice ...a guy who just puts around with #D software as a hobby.
I have licensed versions of Messiah, Silo, Hexagon, Carrara, ToonBoom and Anime Studio. As you may guest I came from the 2D world ....but despite all these software I could not model my way out of a paper-bag.

So why am I happy with Blender?

Because in todays world this fantastic software is free ...I just cannot believe it.

As I go to web site every so often to update the version I have I keep looking for the day when I have to buy Blender ...or even worst ....I must install some anchor crap-ware on my machine to use it.

Would I buy Blender today when compared with the competition.....ABSOLUTELY!!! Especially when you consider the major re-design they made a few years ago....This software is about to upstage the big-boys!

But I remember when I ran to DirecTV to get away from the cable companies ....and after a few years ....I was running away from DirecTv just as fast as I ran away from the cable companies.

This is why I never want to see Blender for sale....eventually the greed takes over ....and it's never the same!!

I am often tickled pink that for free I have a great software ...thats more stable than most ...and I can go just about anywhere to get help!!!

I may never be a good modeler .....but thanks Blender!

06 June 2013
Quote: This is why I never want to see Blender for sale....eventually the greed takes over ....
It will never happen you need to look into FOSS(Free Open Source Software). One of the great things about open source is that anyone can pick up the flag and continue that programs development.
Quote: Would I buy Blender today when compared with the competition.....ABSOLUTELY!!!
Blender maybe free but the developers still need to get paid. If you want to you can help support blender by making a donation to the blender foundation or purchase something from their shop.

Happy blending

06 June 2013
If you appreciate it, why not give them a 5 donation? It helps keep blender going. I have just swapped over to max, and the workflow is so different I am sort of starting to miss blender

06 June 2013
Smile

Originally Posted by TheSquidifier: If you appreciate it, why not give them a 5 donation? It helps keep blender going. I have just swapped over to max, and the workflow is so different I am sort of starting to miss blender

I don't know why you would assume I don't.
And besides ...I've always bought books from them before and after the major release (2.5) a few years ago. Don't spoil it bud ...I'm trying to be nice here.

Last edited by truenovice : 06 June 2013 at 03:13 AM.

06 June 2013
I have it in very good authority (ie: Ton himself) that Blender is NEVER going to ask for your money up front to use the software.

There's a long answer... but the short of it is.. Not as long as Ton and the Blender Foundation lives.

So long live, Ton and the Blender Foundation!

07 July 2013
Blender is indeed a cool package.

I use it in conjunction with Silo, and hopefully ZBrush in the near future(saving the pennies!). The real "cost" is the time and effort spent to learn its interface and how it does things, but supported by other packages it becomes an excellent addition to ones pipeline.

Currently working on...HCR #42

08 August 2013
Quote: I have just swapped over to max, and the workflow is so different I am sort of starting to miss blender

I've just swapped from Max to Blender recently and i can't say that i miss Max. Quit contraire, i'm just glad i finally gave Blender a shot. Its a shame what AD did to Max over the years.

08 August 2013
I've been grabbing the blender open movie DVDs over the years with the intention of finally sitting down and learning this great software! Really want to start using Blender to accompany 3ds Max...and one day replace it.

I saw the newest Blender 2.67 has a '3ds max interaction mode'. Doesn't seem to work as expected? I imagined mouse navigation + Shortcuts would closely mirror 3ds max...

Espire 1: My VR Stealth game - CGTalk thread

08 August 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread