Wrap a shape around a cylinder

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

07 July 2014
Wrap a shape around a cylinder

I would very much like to wrap a rectangle with rounded corners around a cylinder. (Think of a label on a bottle that wraps almost all the way around the circumference).

I am aware that this can be done using a material and UVW Map, etc. but I would like to use geometry in this case.

I am also aware of the conform compound object as well as the conform space warp yet neither of these work for me since the label's width exceeds the width of the face of the cylinder and since conform is uni-directional, the faces that exceed the width of the cylinder's face get left behind. Something like what's pictured here:

http://area.autodesk.com/userdata/forum/w/wtf2.jpg

Any advice is sincerely appreciated.

Brenn

07 July 2014
I would do it by extruding the label from the base object. Clone your base object, then create the label on your clone (that way you don't lose your clean base object) and finally delete what you don't need.

07 July 2014
In the Freeform tab of your Graphite ribbon, try the Conform Brush, or Move tools. They work better than compound object, etc, and should do what you need. You can research how to use the tools here:

PolyDraw Drag and Conform Tools

07 July 2014
Thank you Luxxeon,

Alas, the conform brush doesn't seem to work for my needs. It seems to distort the "wrapper" to a significant degree. Also, the rounded-corner wrapper I use subdivides in a poor way when I tessellate it and will not wrap in a uniform manner whatsoever.

Thanks again!

07 July 2014
Bend would work.

07 July 2014
Thank you Scrimski,

The bend modifier doesn't seem to want to work on the Z axis for me, either when trying to bend the round-cornered spline nor after I have converted it to a poly and tessellated it.

Also, isn't the bend modifier rather arbitrary? I'd like for the polys to actually be perfectly conformed to the cylinder.

I know this sounds easy, but I'm wracking by brain.

Thanks again for the advice!

**Update, I was bending on the wrong axis with a high number in "direction". After converting the rounded corner spline to a poly and tessellating it, I was able to wrap it around my cylinder. It's not perfect but it will have to do.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Caymon : 07 July 2014 at 04:22 PM.

07 July 2014
Thank you MarvinLi,

Your post just became active so I did not read it until now. I presume that is because you are a new member and your post was held for moderation.

I have seen your recommended technique before. My problem in this instance is that the label I am wrapping around the object will have slightly rounded corners and I am unaware of how to curve the otherwise perpendicular edges at the points on the oblect that need to have the round corners.

Also, then the label size would be imprecise because it would rely on the amount of faces I have determined around and up the cylinder.

Jeez, I am making this difficult. I know I should just be happy with any one of these great suggestions. I'm just surprised there isn't an easy way to wrap a spline (rectangle) around a cylinder precisely.

Thanks!

07 July 2014
Displacement modifier

I have used Displace modifier before for my bottle design projects. I think it works!
-Try to use high poly cylinder
-add UVmap modifier
-add Displace modifier
-add bitmap in displace mod

Last edited by arneltapia : 07 July 2014 at 03:52 AM.

07 July 2014
Thank you arneltapia, this might be the best solution for me, especially if I can detach the displaced faces.

reply share thread