Home planet invasion

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Home planet invasion

Hi everyone,

This is work in progress of some concept art for my own project: http://universumwar.com/
After completion of this picture it will be cutted into layers and animated for some 2D cutscenes..
As always critique, advices and comments are welcome!

Link to large image: http://universumwar.com/Gallery/TerraWIP01.jpg

My current project: Universum: War Front - FPS/RTS/RPG in one Space Epic

Last edited by Exyder : 02 February 2013 at 01:15 PM.

02 February 2013
I am very weak on drawing and painting, but I got to say your colors are too intense. There's no color harmony, and everything is very saturated. Background and foreground is screaming for attention. I would try to make distant object almost desaturated, and put some fog in there. The smoke around robot legs is not very well composed. You could try some different blending modes, cloning, deleting... just make it more like a smoke in terms of transparency and blending with the surrounding.

I like the composition of the picture. I like that mess, and I like the dynamics picture have.

Keep us updated.

02 February 2013
The colors are a bit noisy and chaotic. It's fine to have a lot of different colors, but you have to know how to manage them so they aren't creating too too much visual noise.

The city in the far background seems strangely unaffected by same light sources that are lighting the rest of the scene. With such a huge explosion, that whole cityscape should be heavily back-lit and a dark silhouette.

The foreground area is also odd, because it also doesn't seem to be affected by that huge explosion either, and appears to be lit by the sunset sky. Such a powerful explosion should overpower just about everything light source, with the exception of a bright sun on a sunny day.

You have a lot of local contrasts everywhere, and that's not a very effective way to design and manage your overall tonal composition. Instead, try to imagine your scene in the most basic state of just the biggest shapes, most basic values and colors, and the make sure at that level of simplification, the whole image works well. Then adhere to that and try not to keep adding contrast to each local area and create a lot of visual noise everywhere and disrupt the macro level tonal composition you have set up.

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread