Prometheus Explained... BR

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by Apoclypse: Ridley is a master at creating complex and a beautiful pictures, but to be honest I never put him down as a master story teller. If he gets a good script he makes great movies, if he gets a mediocre script he generally makes a bad movie.

I squeal in agreement

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by hypercube: I think they will actually make two "squeakquels", all the characters will be played by chipmunks.

PROMETHEU2: PROMETHQUELUS

PROME3US: PROM NIGHT

hahaha, oh you guys lol

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by Lars3D: From what I read is that they plan to make 2 sequels, now my question to CG talk is what is the success rate of trilogies of there the 2nd and 3rd movies were superior to the first? I can't think of many.

Terminator and The dark knight would be good examples of that.

Its happening more and more, for the exact reason that has been mentioned before. Current films are 'designed' to have sequels, so naturally marketting ppl think its such a great idea to make the first movie raise allot of question that will only be answered if you see the sequel. So ppl are kind of forced to see the sequels.

Its the same trick that is used by tv soaps/programs.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by Tamagoo: Matrix to some extent

I'll have to pretend you didn't say that...

Prometheus is so flawed for me I don't really care about sequels. It's a bad foundation, and whatever you build on it, no matter how good, doesn't change that. It'll always kinda be a bad taste in my mouth thinking everything that set this in motion was so forced and convoluted.

www.MichaelSime.com

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: Terminator and The dark knight would be good examples of that.

Terminator and the Dark Knight would be good examples of the second movie surpassing the first, but the third being far worse than the first ever was. At best

Matrix two and three being superior to the first one in ANY regard must have been sarcasm... I hope.

10 October 2012
I'll keep Terminator 1 in the top tier

Dont fancy the superhero father version of the Terminator
or the heavy handed narration ("in an insane world it was the sanest choice")
in the second movie

Nice fx and action but all the best Arnie moments were in the first Terminator

"Hey buddy you got a dead cat in there or what?"

POSSIBLE RESPONSE:

Yes/no
or what?
Go away

F**k you a**hole

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by zzacmann: This! This one observation, if nothing else, nails exactly why this movie was such a disappointment for so many people.

Yep. Forget the TOTAL lack of suspense, it was the way the people acted in the film that made it the pile of crap it is: SPOILERS.....

- We just arrived in a totally alien world, but instead of being in awe, we will act like dicks.
- Yeah, i'm in it for the money only, i'm going to leave the team behind and head back to the ship.
- I'll just stick my hand right next to this clearly hostile alien tentacle .
- I'm the captain in charge of this multi billion dollar ship and crew, but ill leave the desk to have sex.

and it goes on and on and on, i could list 100 idiotic moments....

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by thethule: - Yeah, i'm in it for the money only, i'm going to leave the team behind and head back to the ship.

And get lost, while the rest of the team has no problem getting back.

This type of character retardedness is usually reserved only for the cheesiest B-grade horror flicks.

10 October 2012
If you guys get a chance, listen to the Writers Commentary, and then proceed to wish that Lindelof just LEAVE SCI-FI ALONE FOREVER.

If they went with Jon Spaihts original treatment, I have NO doubt we would have had a better movie.

One of the more moronic things Lindelof says is that the 'Decon' Alien is really the first Xeno, and the big squid octopus thing is the first Facehugger. Which makes NO sense in the context of ALIEN, which clearly has a cargo hold of neatly distributed eggs, and a PETRIFIED Space Jockey.

Now I'm not saying that Jon Spaihts treatment was without flaws (although I'm still trying to find the complete script online), but it certainly made more sense. Things like the med pod taking HOURS to stitch Shaw back together, and Davids motivations of growing 'hatred' of humans (seeing himself as equal to the Engineers) made for a much more interesting story.

I also liked things like having Holloway be an older man (bringing Shaws daddy issues, and Davids daddy issues to the fore), and the chest bursting sex scene...

10 October 2012
I just finished the Blue ray and I got to say that it has one of the best Making OF docs that I have seen in my life.
It last 3 hours!, and it covers EVERY aspect of production.
It is like a mini film-making course, in pre, production and post.
It is so vast in content, it has its own separate blue ray.
Not matter how you felt about the film, I would encourage all to watch this.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: I just finished the Blue ray and I got to say that it has one of the best Making OF docs that I have seen in my life.
It last 3 hours!, and it covers EVERY aspect of production.
It is like a mini film-making course, in pre, production and post.
It is so vast in content, it has its own separate blue ray.
Not matter how you felt about the film, I would encourage all to watch this.

-R

If you liked these Roberto, you should watch the extras on the directors LOTR bluray discs. They have like 11 hours per film or something crazy..and they are all wonderful. And often very moving.

10 October 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread