Texture Opacity

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
Texture Opacity

In the video here, you can see the white background of the burnt texture as it is revealed by the laser. The way the texture is revealed is through animating a gradient ramp in the opacity slot of the texture. This is giving me a headache because I dont know how to remove the white background of the texture when I'm already using the opacity slot for other means??? What are my options here - multiple UV channels? Saving a certain file type out of PS with transparent BG?

Anyone have an idea?

10 October 2012
In 3ds Max (not sure which app you're using) you coul use a mask map or a mix map to combine tow maps in the opacity map slot.

10 October 2012
Thx scrimski, I forgot to mention I'm using Max 2011. I think you just solved the problem with your mask map idea and now I'm laughing at myself because it seems so simple. Instead of trying to figure out how to work with just the opacity slot to control the look of the texture. I need to use the mask map in the diffuse slot! So now my gradient ramp still controls the reveal of the texture in the opacity slot, while the mask map controls the diffuse look. I guess it could be vice versa as well.

Cheers mate.

10 October 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread