UV Pass Blurred when DoF on?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2012
UV Pass Blurred when DoF on?

I've been rendering out some shallow Depth of Field shots with the Physical Renderer. It seems odd to me that the UV pass seems to be blurred just like the beauty pass. There may be a reason why one would want this, but I can't think of it. Is there a way to switch this off? Or am I looking at a second render pass?

Thanks,

W

@WillMacNeil_VFX

05 May 2012
bit of a flawed concept really, yes you could argue it shouldn't motion blur or DOF blur it but it'd still be just as useless as the rest of the passes are blurred while it is not. Really, if you are doing 3D motion blur or DOF, then your not planning on a multilayer compositing workflow for pixel precise data like normal maps vector motion, or UV.

05 May 2012
Kai is right, the two approaches of doing DOF and blur in-render, but then wanting useful post processing passes like UVs are fundamentally incompatible. A sharp crisp UV pass would be miles away from where it needs to be to match your image passes, the blurred UV map; whilst wrong, would at least give you matching layers.

05 May 2012
I see your point and I probably will end up using a post DoF workflow. But my aim was to use the UV pass along with the Youveeliser plugin in After Effects to comp a simple graphic layer over a blurred 3D render. I'd expect that I could apply a depth pass based DoF like Lenscare to this layer and match the C4D DoF to a satisfactory level - it's only a bit of text and some lines.

After all a blurred UV pass is useless, right?

W

@WillMacNeil_VFX

05 May 2012
As Matthew said, A 'blurred' UV pass would at least line up the UVs with the rest of the blurred layers, so it's at least salvageable.

All a UV map has are red and green channels corresponding to a pixel's UV coordinate. It's the post-processing plugin that's meant to figure out how to interpolate between those points.

Looking at the UV pass that C4D gives, all the 'blurring' I see are pixels being scattered about, much like how the Physical renderer outputs an image with DoF and very low sampling. All of which are supposed to be smoothed out anyway if you do any post-processing blurs.

05 May 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread