Match to Live Action

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2005
Match to Live Action

Here is a match to live action project I just worked on for class:

http://www.joncampbellphotography.c...live_action.mov

This is also the first camera track I have ever done. Enjoy!

-jon

03 March 2005
Hey Jon

Nice work, looks really good, both matchmove and lighting. After viewing it a few times, I noticed about halfway threw there is a slight jump, especailly the bowl. It may just be the compression of the clip or maybe my eyes playing tricks on me. other then that nicely done.

Avedis

03 March 2005
Yeah, there is a slight jump in there. It is from the matchmove. For my first matchmove, I soon found that I picked a really hard shot to match. It was a challenge though, but a lot of fun to do.

BTW, I used Matchmover 3 for the camera track, Maya 6 for the lighting, and Shake for the compositing. I think 50% of the lighting was actual lighting, and the other 50%was manipulating the render layers in Shake to blend them into the live action footage.

-jon

03 March 2005
hey Jon

If thats your first matchmove, definetly well done. Glad you had fun doing it, I look foward to seeing some other projects in the future. keep up the good work

Take Care

Avedis

03 March 2005
Oh yeah, it's well done. I just wished to see more complex models with different shaders on them.
Keep it up man, good luck.

03 March 2005
Talking - Ian

Wow! I couldn't tell which was 3d and which was real! Well, until it showed which was 3d.

But I have some questions for you, jon.

1# What did you do to make the 3d lighting match the real life?

2# How did you make such realistic specularity on the bowl?

I hope you answer these questions with as much detail as possible. again, Awesome work!

- Ian

03 March 2005
Quote: 1# What did you do to make the 3d lighting match the real life?

You just answered your own question. It was all in the lighting. The compositing helped a lot as well, though I consider compositing part of the lighting process.

Quote: 2# How did you make such realistic specularity on the bowl?

Again, all in the lighting. When you do a match to live action you want to figure out how many light sources there are in the scene and where they are positioned. You can either draw their locations out on paper or shoot a chrome ball. I prefer the drawing method. You can also cheat by putting a reflective object in the same spot on the table and photograph for reference so you know where the spec hilites should be and what their intensities are.

Hope this helps!

-jon

03 March 2005
couldnt believe that was ur first live action match.... good lighting & track!!
very well done jon!!

03 March 2005
I am doing another match to live action. Here is a link to the thread if anyone is interested:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=223666

-jon

03 March 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread