New To CG Modeling

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2012
New To CG Modeling

I want to build scenes in 3D to compliment my photography.
My question is, at what scale do I create my objects?
Do I building them based on their real dimensions, or size to fit within the final image.
For example, a 16 x 20 inch image.
I don't know what size to build my texture maps for some of these objects.

Help!

08 August 2012
If your end result is to be a photo at 16"x20", the render dimensions is what will be more important than choice of scale method. You don't say what software you are using, but the all allow you to render at different dimensions. You could render out at say 6000 pixels wide and that would give you a 20" width at 300 pixels per inch.
Scaling method can be whatever you want, ie real world or your softwares default scaling choices.

As for textures, you may need several sizes. For instance small objects in the distance (for instance a stone or bottle in the background) may only need a 512 texture. Close up will need bigger for more detail like a 2048 or even 4096 texture.

If you are an absolute beginner at this, you need to start with the basics. Plenty of tutorials and videos out there that will help.

08 August 2012
Read this
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~emas...zeDoesCount.pdf

08 August 2012
Thanks

Originally Posted by Dillster: If your end result is to be a photo at 16"x20", the render dimensions is what will be more important than choice of scale method. You don't say what software you are using, but the all allow you to render at different dimensions. You could render out at say 6000 pixels wide and that would give you a 20" width at 300 pixels per inch.
Scaling method can be whatever you want, ie real world or your softwares default scaling choices.

As for textures, you may need several sizes. For instance small objects in the distance (for instance a stone or bottle in the background) may only need a 512 texture. Close up will need bigger for more detail like a 2048 or even 4096 texture.

If you are an absolute beginner at this, you need to start with the basics. Plenty of tutorials and videos out there that will help.

This is helpful. What I believe I will do is at least build the scene and do the live action
photography, and when I get the closest composite together, I will at least be able to
show you and get the plan of action from there.

Right now I am using Lightwave 9.5, and I am starting to get familiar with the toolset.
Have been looking at videos, and now just have to "do it" as they say.

Thanks for your help. I feel a little better now. I will just use real world measurements
to build the models and objects, and then go from there.

Greg.

08 August 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread