Machineflesh Challenge Questions/Issues

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

08 August 2004
arman: You'd only just be able to vote yourself :P

Kylebrn / Siladar: I'll suggest it to Leo, but it really depends on the timeframe of when we start the next challenge, compared to what else we have to do.

Kylebrn: It would take less than 10 hours to change the current voting system to handle voting like that... we tried having the scores public with the AW challenge, but it Really Didn't Work. (People would just vote for whatever was already popular!).

Siladar: Unfortunately, I think it would scare away alot of people who might otherwise want to vote. Choosing five scores for over a hundred images, including actually looking at the WIPs and everything, is a huge amount of time. I still think it's better to allow people just to vote for the WIPs that they would have been following all along anyway. (For the most part).

Anyway, thanks for the feedback; We'll make sure to discuss it before the next challenge but I obviously can't say if anything will change

I haven't actually heard what the next challenge will be myself, but I'm sure I'll find out once Leo is back at work... All of you entrant-types will have to wait for the public announcement

08 August 2004
FWIW, I also think that the entries were more original than you give them credit for... OK so I'm not an artist, I may be missing some stupendously obvious "prior art" for the images, but...

Take francis001's image for starters:
http://cgnetworks.com/challenge/mac...challenger=2138

Sure, it might not have won - possibly because it doesn't have the same flashy visual impact of the winner, I don't know. (I wasn't involved in the judging itself; but the public voting usually shows up "flashy" images first). It may have drawn on other work (a book is mentioned in the WIP posts), but to me it's a good example of the more original art that was entered for the contest.

And of course, that cow was absolutely brilliant
http://cgnetworks.com/challenge/mac...challenger=2038

08 August 2004
Originally Posted by JamesMK: Though I'm not at all affiliated with the organising parties, I can confirm that the next theme, and I quote, "will ROCK."

...stop doing that...every time i see it my neurons remix to a syncopated rythmn...
and my tea spills....there it happened again!
r.o.c.k da house ya!ya! uh huh..oh yah!!

Last edited by CLONEOPS : 08 August 2004 at 06:04 AM.

08 August 2004
Don't get me wrong. All the winners had nice pieces. No doubt about it. And I've loved that I can toss in my 2 cents on the composistions as they were progressing.

It just seems like several of the more original pieces I've seen didn't even seem to rate an honorable mention. I mean really. How original is a 3/4 naked woman in a picture? You can go down to the store an get that in a magazine. I feel the same about some guy shooting a gun at some big alien looking monster.

I guess I feel that everyone was judging the pictures based on different criteria than me. I thought originality was the major thrust of the contest. I could be wrong....it's happened before....I just can't remmeber when though.

08 August 2004
Originally Posted by Siladar: How original is a 3/4 naked woman in a picture? You can go down to the store an get that in a magazine. I feel the same about some guy shooting a gun at some big alien looking monster. I guess I feel that everyone was judging the pictures based on different criteria than me. I thought originality was the major thrust of the contest.

Another major criteria was process and, for me, watching Blackarts piece become more and more refined was very cool. Inspiring really. Technical ability was no doubt in the mix too.

09 September 2004
So I dunno where else to post , but when exactly
will the next challenge be announced ?

09 September 2004
Hi all,

Next challenge will be in late October/November running through to early next year. Sorry for such a big delay in between, but the MachineFlesh Challenge almost broke the camel's back. The challenges have grown to the point now where it's futile of us to try to run them without additional resources (i.e. I actually need to hire someone to manage the challenge).

So reality bites - the next official challenge will only be in late October.

Leo

09 September 2004
Excellent! We shall now stop pestering you! Ermm..I hope!

Sil

share thread