Opinions on eye posing.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
Opinions on eye posing.

The image is of two stills taken from an animation. One problem I have when rendering is the eyes appear different depending on the camera angle and distance. The image below is of the same frame with the one on the right being a close up. In the close up, the eyes appear to be reasonably alive. However, in the left image, you get a different effect.

I'm interested in opinions and ideas on how animators give their characters life (at any angle). The eyes being a major key. Do you simply set up the eyes differently between closeups and far shots, or do you use some level of exaggeration?

The animation the stills were taken from can be seen at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg95gKnk5bg

It has yet to be fully rendered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg im_cg1024x7201993.jpg (63.9 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by BadOlePuddyTat : 10 October 2012 at 06:21 PM.

10 October 2012
What is your point of interest? if you use the camera position in space is good. But if you just position randomly the eyes to fix the camera in close up it don;t match in other angles.. normal.

Did you rig with a element who drive the two eyes?

10 October 2012
The eyes are rigged with separate controls for positioning, and for opening/closing. They can be moved together, or individually. Below is a quick render of the closeup shot with the eye rig visible. The center cone moves both eyes. The large octagons move each individual eye. The smaller octagons control opening and closing. The lines are paths for the smaller octagons. It's a pretty typical rig. There are also separate controls for the face (not visible).

This particular still has the eyes gazing at a specific point. The eyes are posed at various points through the animation the still is taken from. The model is never actually looking at the camera. The close up shot is basically a test render where I position the camera (in the model's view) to ensure the facial expression is correct. The attached image (both shots) from the first post is the result of that (eye rig) pose. Each render yielded a different effect (I was looking for the same effect of the close up shot).

Obviously, it would be easy to do a different pose for each shot, which brings me back to the question. What are some preferred methods if, and when this issue occurs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg im_cg1024x7201993b.jpg (93.8 KB, 2 views)

10 October 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread