Silo not exporting STL files

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

05 May 2018
Silo not exporting STL files

Hello,
I have been working with silo for quite a while, my work involves exporting a lot of stl files, i work with jewelry. I seem unable to do so after upgrading to the new version

Why this happens?
Any ideas? anyone experiencing the same?

I am 3d printing, any other format that could be useful?
obj doesnt keep the smoothess and dxf files seem to be broken also.

PlEASE HELP

2 Weeks Ago
Something strange going on.

When I save an stl from Silo and load it back in I get "unexpected end of file"

File appears to load into blender just fine, but Flash Print which I use with my 3D printer throws up an error, unable to import the file.

I compared Silo ascii stl output to blender and all that I could see different without delving in to much was that Silo's stl data was indented and blender's was not.

I removed the indents and the file now loads into Flashprint just fine... But it won't load back into Silo! :] Hopefully it will be fixed in the next update.

To keep obj smooth you need to enable 'export subdiv mesh' in save options.

2 Weeks Ago
Hello and thank you for replying. How do i remove the indents. I figured out the obj exporting setting

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by mrjay3d: Hello and thank you for replying. How do i remove the indents. I figured out the obj exporting setting

I opened the stl in a text editor (notepad++) to remove the indents

2 Weeks Ago
I am having a similar issue. I have a forum thread describing a similar issue
Anyways, here is how my issue is related.

I am having trouble exporting my .sib file to .stl. I have tried the following without any
success:

* Export Scene (.stl)
* Save selected objects (.stl)
* Create new Scene -> load into scene (existing .sib file) -> Export (.stl)
* Save as .stl

The following is working thought

* Create a new scene -> create cube -> export scene (.stl)

It seems that my old(er) files are not being exported, but new files are exportable. I am able to export to .obj, but I need it in .stl in order
for my 3D-printer to work.

I am running MacOS High Sierra version 10.13.3,and I am running Silo3D version: 2.5.4 Professional through Steam.

I sent this message to Silo3D Nervecenter directly, and I got a reply saying that they would look into the issue, requesting my .sib-file. I never got a reply after sending them my .sib-file. Maybe they are working on a fix to solve the problem.

Last edited by Johnonym : 2 Weeks Ago at 07:39 AM.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Cinnsealach: I opened the stl in a text editor (notepad++) to remove the indents
I opened the stl in a text editor (notepad++) to remove the indents

hello, it doesnt seem to work i am unable to do that. We are a company updated our silo to the newest version , we habe 3 silos running and unable to save in stl. The files exporting in stl are less than 1mb i think there is no 3d data there in the form of stl even if i figured out how to remove the indents which i find impossible, i am pretty sure is not that. Maybe anything else in the exporting stl options? I think is just Silo is not exporting in stl there is a sort of issue, i get almost empty files by exporting...Any other alternative in exporting for printing? Objs work but are not good for 3d printing its very easy to get errors. I am sure many people experience the same issue.

1 Week Ago
Until it's fixed I would suggest installing an older version that exports working stl files.

You can download every release going back to 2.3 on the Silo downloads page.

reply share thread