Soft body modelling

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Red face Soft body modelling

Hi all,

I'm trying to create an animation in which a character walks into a soft body (memory foam type) object. I'd like to clearly see his face imprint within the object afterwards. Id then like the object to slowly return to its original shape or perhaps keep the imprint / impression. How would I do this? Is there a parameter or object property that controls how quickly or slowly and object returns to its original shape? I'm struggling here and would really appreciate some help.

Thanks,

Rico

Old 10 October 2012   #2
What program are you using?

Old 10 October 2012   #3
Sorry, I'm using max 2010

Old 10 October 2012   #4
One way you could do it is to make a copy of the foam mesh and use the conform brush in the graphite modeling tools to conform the mesh to the face of your character. Put a morpher modifier on the original foam object and choose the copy as a target. Now you can animate the imprint.

You may have to set up the foam mesh initially in such a way that it's a planar mesh to use the conform brush and afterwards use a shell modifier or whatever. It's hard to know without seeing your foam mesh.

Old 10 October 2012   #5
Thanks for the reply. Is there any parameters or object properties that would control this within soft bodies?

Old 10 October 2012   #6
Hey,

You could maybe duplicate the mesh for the face, delete the back, and invert the polys. Merge this into your foam model, and sew the edges together.

Then you could store that as a pose in a blend shape modifier. Then select all the polys on the front, scale them in one axis until there flat, and save that as another blend shape pose. Animate between the blend shapes as the foam expands and compresses. Just a rambling thought.

-AJ

Old 10 October 2012   #7
Thumbs up Thank you

Hi thanks you for your help.

Old 10 October 2012   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread