Pinning same mesh vertex's together for cloth modifier advice

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

12 December 2017
Pinning same mesh vertex's together for cloth modifier advice

Hi,

I have been asked to design a 3D file / visual of a water pouch similar to a Capri Sun Pouch. Im up to the task, but the model requires some new techniques that i'm not 100% on. Namley the cloth modifier..
The pouch is made up of a front and back face with a folded gusset in the bottom. (See the picture)

I have a few things that i cant figure out at all which are vital to producing this model.

1. I need to pin the sides together all the way to the bottom of the pouch.
Because the gusset is modeled in here, i can't simply weld the faces together. I can only think that there must be a way to pin the lower side vertex's to each other in the cloth modifier. It seems that the options there only allow me to pin vertexs to other bodies in the sim, not the same body.. any thoughts on how to do this?
I have also tried the garment modifier. It worked but did not produce the results i wanted.

2. The pressure setting in the cloth modifier allows me to apply even pressure to the inside to the model and expand it. This is great, however i want this to simulate water so need a way to alter the pressure to point downwards, or make gravity affect it. Is there any way to do this?

Would be great to get some thoughts on these issues!
i have tried to be clear, but ask if you need to know anything more, or don't fully understand.

cheers

12 December 2017
i know you said 'similar' to a Capri Sun pouch...which are plastic, not cloth. So to confirm, is your model in 'real life' made of cloth ? ie. wouln't water seep thru ?

(I'm alluding to ...sure you don't wanna model it...instead of resorting to cloth sim ? )

Last edited by vusta : 12 December 2017 at 12:20 AM.

12 December 2017
if it helps..have a look at my Cloth setup...pay attention to the 'pin' group

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvgNse7E8aaygyqnNgkuTHBRtBnB

12 December 2017
You can pin vertex's to cloth by making a group and assigning the 'Cloth' to the group then pick the object.(the cloth object)

But it looks to me that you are wanting to fill the object with fluid - is that the correct - can't you make a lower poly welded model that is filled with fluid using 2018 Fluid ? Then SkinWrap the higher poly to the lower poly.

12 December 2017
Nevermind.

Last edited by SD3D : 12 December 2017 at 07:43 PM.

12 December 2017
You Looking at me?

Last edited by SD3D : 12 December 2017 at 02:33 PM.

reply share thread