Multiple workplanes, or similar

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

05 May 2014
Multiple workplanes, or similar

I'm looking to do an architectural model. I have the building floor plans mapped to planes, each plane set to the appropriate Y-axis height for that floor (4 floors). Is there a way, when drawing the wall splines in Top view, to have them drawn at the same Y-height as a certain floor plan layer? I thought there used to be multiple workplanes in c4d, which you could enable/disable (or maybe it was that the active one was the topmost one in the OM). I feel like I'm losing my mind!

Ideally, I'd just have the floor plan reference layer I want to trace visible, with the others hidden, and any drawing I do in Top view would be at the same y-height as that layer. Does this really require a 'draw on surface' plugin?

05 May 2014
Why so complicated? What would be the difference in drawing your contours at zero level and then numerically moving the resulting splines and groups to the required height?

Mylenium

05 May 2014
Of course that's an option, but not ideal. I foresee having to add doors, windows, stairs etc after the main walls are in place for each level; thus switching between floors at a later stage. It also means remembering floor levels heights etc.

I'm just surprised there isn't a way to have predefined workplanes that I can easily switch between :-/

05 May 2014
You can use 'Align workplane to selection' with the floor object selected.
If you want to automate it, you can drag all your floors to a HUD group & select them from there, right clicking & choosing action > command & entering the ID of align workplane to selection (431000009).
That way you just have to click the floor in question in the HUD & the workplane will align to it.

05 May 2014
You could use Xrefs for each floor, if you can trust them... That way you just set the Xref height in the Master scene and jump into the Xref when you want a zeroed workplane.

cheers
brasc

05 May 2014
You don't need a specific "workplane object", you can simply use a Null object to define position and direction of each workplane.

When you want to use that workplane definition, click the corresponding Null, then click Align workplane to selection (as already mentioned here). Admittedly that works only in Model or Object mode, if you need it in a different mode, you'd need to script changing to Model mode, then changing back to the previous mode.

05 May 2014
thanks guys for the help. I think I'll go with decade's option, that's pretty sweet!

05 May 2014
Guide objects have a plane mode. You can make a cloner, clone the plane guide in a certain height distance, make editable and now you have separate planar guides you can snap to on each floor. Then you just need to disable and only enable the floor you want. It doesn't have a grid so if you need to snap on a grid you will still need to align a workplane

reply share thread