Autodesk maya; Stretchy Ik on/off switch

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2012
hmmm, Maybe my workflow is different or maybe I just need to play around with an elbow lock like that. But It seems as if your elbow, when the locking is turned on, slides to meet the polevector, and when turned back off, slides back to meet the IK elbow. I don't see that as being animator friendly. How could you ever really seamlessly blend between the two states? let me explain...

In my setup. The elbow control that ultimately locks off the elbow, follows the IK solution (with an override of course so you can still animate the elbow off the IK solve. until the locking is turned on, releasing it's relationship, and leaving the elbow control right where it is, with no other influences. there's no shift when you turn it on, it only shifts back to follow the IK solution again when it's turned back off. makes sense right?

I guess it's hard to grasp in concept, but I think during some animation tests it would be clearer. Like I said, maybe I just need to play around with the rig, but it would seam really difficult to seamlessly set and lock down the arm to a table. not impossible, just more difficult than it needs to be.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by gagex2z: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF0S...eature=youtu.be

I watched everyframe's video and started playing around with different ways to achieve the stretchy behavior with elbow locking and correct scaling. This is a setup I stumbled upon that seems to work pretty well. It's not exact and doesn't really measure anything but I have not run tino any problems with it during my animation tests.

I took everyframe's advice on setting up the elbow lock using a different arm chain and since I was confused how to achieve it using the blendAttr node I used a simple point constraint setup that seems to work just as well.

I'd love to hear what everyone thinks of this method and what it could be used for.

Hi, ppl
gagex's method is pretty interesting, especially for one who do not know scripting or do not have some script to get the complex task done. I just wanna add that in your method you can have things exactly setup with a little simple math.

You just have to get the difference between the distance of the ik and the length along the joint chain.
* the distance: create a distance between, snap them to place, wohla! there it is, write it down, delete the node.
* the length: create a 1 degree curve with 3 cvs, snap each cv to the joint. Type in
'arclen -ch false <<name of the curve>>;' Maya will give you the length of the curve.
So, minus them: length - distance = offset
Now, we know how far to translate the ik ctrl to get the ik to fully stretch, also, how much value to put in the translateX of the joint.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by nuternativ: Hi, ppl
gagex's method is pretty interesting, especially for one who do not know scripting or do not have some script to get the complex task done. I just wanna add that in your method you can have things exactly setup with a little simple math.

You just have to get the difference between the distance of the ik and the length along the joint chain.
* the distance: create a distance between, snap them to place, wohla! there it is, write it down, delete the node.
* the length: create a 1 degree curve with 3 cvs, snap each cv to the joint. Type in
'arclen -ch false <<name of the curve>>;' Maya will give you the length of the curve.
So, minus them: length - distance = offset
Now, we know how far to translate the ik ctrl to get the ik to fully stretch, also, how much value to put in the translateX of the joint.

Nice, thanks for the input. I'll try it out and see if I can plug that into my setup.

TBH the only thing I never really liked about Jason Schiefers arm setup was that it relied on the multiply divide node to normalize the scale with the master control. I really liked zeth's ability to group the master several times and still get correct scaling, but I have also become really spoiled. I hate animating arms resting on a table without elbow locking. I'd say elbow locking is an essential character acting asset in a rig.

If I can figure out a way to get the best of all systems it'll be ideal. Then I just need to figure out how to script it into an automated arm setup.

09 September 2012
All the feedback has been a bit overwhelming but really awesome. Is there any books that would further my understanding on rigging? Cause I know there's a few.

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread