WIP: Caterpillar 785C

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2012
Question WIP: Caterpillar 785C

Alright so I'm currently working on a modeling project, project plan is to ideally; model, texture rig this project. I set my goals high to push myself though I honestly don't expect to be able to finish the texturing of this as I don't know shit when it comes to texturing. I can rig the bed to dump at the 45* and move a "load" out of the bed along with wheels/suspension so it could have some motion when stopping/going sorta deal. I'm also considering looking into setting up particles to blow black material out of the exhaust pipe.

I'm using 3DS Max for modeling. Version 2010 & 2012

The images I'm using for references & details are at the following link.
http://photobucket.com/cat785project

Renders are located here.
http://photobucket.com/caterpillar785renders

I'm honestly a noob when it comes to texturing & rendering so my renders might be bad angles/render material or who knows. I appreciate any and all feedback and critiques. If anyone has recommendations for a noob learning texturing. <3

Last edited by brbonthemoon : 07 July 2012 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Didn't include what program I'm using.

07 July 2012
My first question is about inversed faces. I've started noticing around my model there are faces that show black and the material on the opposite side where it wouldn't be seen. I'm not sure what I need to do to avoid that or how to fix this in my model.

07 July 2012
Add an Edit Normals modifier to the object. Expand and select the Normal sub-tree in the stack, and select all the normals (blue lines) in the viewport then hit the "Unify" button. Additionnaly, performing "Break" and "Reset" could purge other normals issues.

07 July 2012
Thank you very much for the answer and the steps, fixed my situation! Thanks LionelBillault

I'm now working to wrap up my truck bed. The truck bed has posed a headache to me to keep it one object. I've had to make some parts detached elements of the object, almost done with that.

After the bed I just need to get some of the visible oil/gas/fire extinguishers modeled in on the passenger side of the model then finish the railing with the icing on top being a completed drivers cab. I plan to have at least 2/3 of this completed before the day is out.

Will post renders of each element of the vehicle by itself versus my others where it's the whole vehicle. I don't have any material for render shots so far so will see if I can find out something as this basic material doesn't give the best results.

Thanks again LionelBillault

07 July 2012
Update:

At this point I'm about 80% done with the dump bed and maybe 50% done with the truck body. Need to model out under the bed details so the bed fits and the hydraulics in place and finish up a few details for the front driver cabin.

I've also moved onwards to working on materials a bit since, along my project schedule I set, I'm going to be spending the next three weeks on this then the 3 after that on any rigging for animation. I feel so much more comfortable setting up some rigging for wheels to suspension to making the bed move then materials but here goes. Can't wait to get to the rigging parts now that modeling is wrapping up.

I spent a little time browsing for references for my rigging goals. So far I found a similar vehicle (not the 785 I'm modeling) though it's close in characteristics in case I don't come across other option(s).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeYs...feature=related

No reference so far for the bed lifting/closing though it is supposedly a rotation from 0* to max 45*-49* at full extension for emptying the load.

I have a rendered version of the tire in a 4second avi uploaded here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNB-...eature=youtu.be
I will be putting some still frames together.
:EDIT: Will rerender the shot for a less shaky version. :EDIT:
:EDIT: New version. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKwP...eature=youtu.be
:EDIT:

On my tire the tread part between the outer edges shows up in the render as warped, I have a hunch this is due to the edges for the outer pieces carry along at a slant to get to the other outer edge versus going straight across and having a new edge for the other outer side. I will look into fixing this, along with grabbing something for the headache that might ensue fixing it. :S

I have no clue how to render an object so that it shows the edges/wireframe. I will try some tutorials and web browsing, nonetheless, pointers are greatly welcomed.

Back to work I go.

Last edited by brbonthemoon : 07 July 2012 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Just adding more text.

09 September 2012
Have some uploaded videos of it at it's current point. Link to YouTube

Feedback still appreciated. If there are specific requests to show the model/show better please comment so I can learn on how better to show it.

Thanks.

Last edited by brbonthemoon : 09 September 2012 at 07:31 AM.

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread