What is this? Mesh cut to pieces (from UV's?)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

01 January 2018
What is this? Mesh cut to pieces (from UV's?)

Hello,

There is something wrong when I'm importing mesh to Maya (from UE4). The mesh will get cut in pieces from what seems to be the UV lines.

Here is a mesh that is imported UE->Maya. You can see clear line in the mesh and when you select the vertex you can pull it up and see it's not solid. The same applies all around the mesh and seems to be cut always from the UV's

Here is the same mesh when importing from the original orginal source iClone->Maya and the mesh is solid.

Has anybody seen anything like this? All kind of help is appreciated, I'm torn by this problem since I can not find anything even remotely related to the issue. I'm quite new to Maya and studying it independently and things go quite nicely but this one I can not fix nor do I have right questions to search results from forums.

02 February 2018
A model can be made up of several different meshes that have no common vertices. Some programs may separate the meshes into different objects or render sharply between the meshes (no vertex smoothing). You may need to combine the meshes if they are separate objects and then merge the vertices for the model to be 1 mesh. Also vertices from 2 meshes can overlay each other (especially on borders edges) and it will look like they share vertices, but they actually don't. Pressing 3 (smooth view) will usually show where meshes aren't joined at the verts.

Last edited by fleabay : 02 February 2018 at 06:18 PM.

reply share thread