Anyone have any idea on generating custom physical meshes on MassFX?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Anyone have any idea on generating custom physical meshes on MassFX?

Hello,

I am just wondering on how to create custom meshes for MassFX rigid bodies? The 3ds Max help didn't help much and this forum also doesn't have any information on it. Could anybody help me with some instructions?

Below is the picture of the object that I am trying to create a custom mesh.

Thanks.

Old 04 April 2013   #2
Not sure I understand what you mean?

You should just be able to add a massFX Rigid Body modifier to it.

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Hi Johnny,

Modifier has been added to the object. Actually I was talking about the physical shapes rollout in the MassFX Rigid Body modifier. Some objects have a very complex structure so selecting a shape type like convex or concave doesn't really result in a smooth simulation. These types create a hull around the object that actually modifies the shape of the object. So I read somewhere that you could create custom hulls specific to each part of the object.

Now I am close to getting it fixed by increasing the mesh detail percentage under the physical mesh parameters rollout. It is way better than before now but still at some positions it jerks.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Ohhhh you are talking about the collision shape. hmm yeah there is a custom shape that I believe you can select a mesh as, sorry I haven't ever needed to use it so I don't know much about it functionality wise or how well it works.

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Oh ok Johnny, I guess its a section in MassFX where nobody has given any focus on. With multiple tweaks on the mesh detail value I am about to get it fixed. With a small value change I see a notable difference.

One more question, how is Rayfire compared to MassFX? Have you tried Rayfire.

I could create a chain in MassFX which was impossible for me in Rayfire.

Thanks Johnny.

Old 04 April 2013   #6
I am familiar with Rayfire. It in fact was really the first utilization of PhysX in max. Rayfire is more or less a destruction/fracturing tool.

The question really is, well you haven't stated what you actually wish to achieve, so it is hard to say which is better for what.

Old 04 April 2013   #7
I might try using Rayfire on my current project. For every project I just want to try out something new.

I mentioned about creating a chain in my last post. A chain could be done with some tubes on scene interlocked with each other, made into dynamic rigid bodies and finally running the simulation would give you a perfect chain. MassFX is used for these destructions as well as for small things like these.

Is that kind of a thing really possible in RayFire or is it just for destruction?

Thanks Johnny.

Old 04 April 2013   #8
You can use rayfire just like you would massFX. It is essentially a easy to use interface for physics based sims. You used to have reactor/physx now you can use either Bullet (beta) or massFX/physx.

A simple chain in 3 minutes:
https://vimeo.com/64473983

Old 04 April 2013   #9
Johnny the video was really helpful. I tried it almost the same way but the tubes were parting away from each other.

Thank you again.

Old 04 April 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread