Questions on studying animation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2009
Questions on studying animation

Hello everyone,
I'm wondering which school to go to for animation. I'm from Australia and I'm looking to branch out. I spoke to the training manager at Animal Logic Studios and he recommended:
1. Gobelins FRANCE
2. Supainfocom FRANCE
3. Calarts USA
4. Bournemouth Uni UK
(I also noticed that NYU Tisch Asia has opened an Animation Dept in Singapore. Has anyone been there/know what it's like?)
I'd really appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.
Regards,
Em

07 July 2009
Hey

I study at supinfocom, and I'm content with it, but you won't get the best hands on training and nearly no professional input. It's a do-it-by-yourself school very focused on end-of-the year projects (which I should be working on). It got me an internship at Framestore and in a nice Paris studio so I won't complain, but it has various disadvantages:
-french is required (there are virtually no non-french speaking people)
-the schools are in desolate towns (that maybe why we spend our saturdays and sundays there )
-animation is simply not taught (at least in our school out of the two in france)

I know various people at Gobelins, and it's a little more international, cheaper by half, in a nice place in paris, but the level required to get in is simply crazy. The school is extremely focused on animation, yet they've reached an amazing 3d level. They share a program with Calarts too.

Hope it helped a tad.

07 July 2009
Hi,
Thanks for the reply, very good to know! I see that Gobelins also requires French and I speak English only but I'd be willing to learn. Is there any further advice you can give that would make my portfolio stand out? What kind of knowledge would I need beforehand?
Cheers,
Em

07 July 2009
There is a page of information about Gobelins' entry requirements here http://www.gobelins.fr/presentation-anim-gb.htm

I don't know anyone who has studied there, but I have worked with a very talented artist who didn't pass their entry exams; I think it's a very hard school to get into, good luck.

07 July 2009
Originally Posted by emdean: Hi,
Thanks for the reply, very good to know! I see that Gobelins also requires French and I speak English only but I'd be willing to learn. Is there any further advice you can give that would make my portfolio stand out? What kind of knowledge would I need beforehand?
Cheers,
Em

Just a really, really good drawing background. With that comes the knowledge of masters of art.

07 July 2009
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread