The Butterfly Room

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #1
Lightbulb The Butterfly Room

The Butterfly Room

The butterfly room is a room on a spaceship. I'm going for a fantasy feel more than science fiction, though. There will be TONS more butterflies later, but I'm too lazy to sketch them all right now, especially since the majority will be very tiny. I'm intentionally positioning the main trees like pillars in a cathedral and might use stained glass lighting. Even the branches mimic a ribbed ceiling. The gazebo will be washed in light beams, I think, since there's a break in the foliage. (Look for places marked "sky".) Right now, I'm looking for composition critique, though any and all other suggestions will be taken into serious consideration.

Last edited by DorothyTRose : 09 September 2013 at 10:29 PM.

Old 09 September 2013   #2

Colour rough

It needs more butterflies!!!

Old 09 September 2013   #3
The composition looks pretty good so far. Once you get all the lighting effects in there, it might change the visual weight of some elements, so we'll have to see how you do the lighting next.

Old 09 September 2013   #4

And after a day's work. Still needs more butterflies. XD

Old 09 September 2013   #5
I have only one suggestion. I notice there's a lot of white gaps between different elements in your lineless version. Be less careful when you're laying out your base colours. Don't be afraid to slop over the lines and lose your edges. You can always refine them later, especially since you've got the lineart presumably hidden on another layer. Maybe even try working in your base colors over a soft gradient or huge, abstract brush strokes that fit the color scheme you're heading for.

But that's for your next painting. For now, just fix up those white gaps.

The composition is fine.

Old 09 September 2013   #6
Looks great so far, Id say the composition looks good but maybe add a bit more "drama" by exaggerating the perspective on the trees as pillars, so they look even more like they are looming, if you know what I mean.

Old 09 September 2013   #7
Lunatique: I didn't thank you earlier, so "Thanks!" ^_^ I've decided to forgo the stained-glass lighting. There will be a lot of colours already in both the flowers and the butterflies. Also, I'm really liking the vivid green in the leaves and coloured lights would mess that up. So, I'm nixing that idea.

Anaxa: Yes, you're right. It's been a while since I've painted anything and I forgot about starting with a non-white background. Thanks for the reminder. ^__^

Onedee: Thanks for the suggestion. I think I know what you mean, but I'm not sure how I'd do that at this point, especially since I'm loathed to break out of the 2x3 dimensions.

Here is another day of painting:

I'm especially concerned about the dappled lighting this time. It always looks weird to me, so I'm never quite satisfied with it. I think, I ought to make the blocks of light smaller near the foreground, casting the whole area mostly in shadow. Probably need a few more beams of light coming through the leaves.

I got absolutely sick of painting the grout between the path stones as I got further towards the back. So, I fade it out to nothingness. Does this work or am I being too lazy?

Old 09 September 2013   #8
The paved walkway's stone shapes need to look like they are seen from an angle (perspective). You are drawing them as if they are seen from the top, instead of a 3/4 angle.

When doing dappled lighting, the way I do it is very easy and efficient. You first paint all local surfaces as if they are lit by diffused light, then you simply add a multiple blend mode layer and paint your cast shadows from the tree canopy. This way, you can always change/fix the dapple lighting whenever you need to, on a separate layer, without disturbing what's underneath. Same with painting in illuminated surfaces--just use a layer blend mode that looks most like direct lighting and paint in the directly lit areas on a separate layer with the light source's color.

Old 10 October 2013   #9
Use a smaller brush for the pink flowers on the lower left. Right now they look like someone is holding up a vase in front of the viewer.

Old 11 November 2013   #10
Life happened and art did not for a long time, so I'm posting an update, just to prove that I HAVE worked on it a LITTLE bit over the past, what, two months? ^_^;;

It still needs more butterflies, but you can kind of see the gist of it now.

Thanks for the tip, Lunatique. I've been a little nervous about testing it out, but I suspect I need more reference photos first anyhow.

Thekillingroad, I see what you're saying and I may have to nix my initial idea, but...I'm going to proceed with it for now b/c what I imagine in my head looks much better than what is here right now. If I can't pull it off, I'll concede to you. ^___^

Old 11 November 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread