Asus nvidia GTX 690 Graphics card advice

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 02 February 2014   #31
Originally Posted by shokan: I think the reason I can't find much information about the GTX 690 for use with 3D software and render engines is because practically no one would buy one (at $1000 plus) for use with those softwares because only one chip of the two is used. No one except me. I usually research the heck outta stuff before buying. Not this time, lol. But, it seems one or more of the GPU-accelerated render engines may, indeed, use both. Big maybe. In any case, a Titan or the new Titan Black coming up is on my list to add to the machine.

The Titan is kind of bad value for money compared to a 780, especially for games, BUT I got one for two reasons: First I like playing with CUDA, and the unlocked DP computation matters to me. That's not a big deal though on most apps since it's not widely used, or it's used sparingly to not see GTX cards crippled. More important though: 6GB of fast RAM and excellent power draw to compute power ratio.

In light of that for GPU rendering it's not a bad deal.

For gaming the 690 is regarded by many as a better choice, and as a greatly better choice if you care for immersive triple monitor setups at a reduced bandwidth impact on the bridges. For professional CG though a lot of that added value disappears instantly IMO, and often places the 690 below a 680.

All that said, if you find on board memory not to be a bottleneck, then a 780ti is better bang for buck than a titan, and will be slightly faster as well whenever DP isn't involved, which for most people is the staggering majority of the time.

Old 02 February 2014   #32
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: The Titan is kind of bad value for money compared to a 780, especially for games, BUT I got one for two reasons: First I like playing with CUDA, and the unlocked DP computation matters to me. That's not a big deal though on most apps since it's not widely used, or it's used sparingly to not see GTX cards crippled. More important though: 6GB of fast RAM and excellent power draw to compute power ratio.

In light of that for GPU rendering it's not a bad deal.

For gaming the 690 is regarded by many as a better choice, and as a greatly better choice if you care for immersive triple monitor setups at a reduced bandwidth impact on the bridges. For professional CG though a lot of that added value disappears instantly IMO, and often places the 690 below a 680.

All that said, if you find on board memory not to be a bottleneck, then a 780ti is better bang for buck than a titan, and will be slightly faster as well whenever DP isn't involved, which for most people is the staggering majority of the time.
The Titan is the card recommended by Furryball and Octane, GPU renderers. It's because of the 6G VRAM. I imagine it's much the same for the other GPU renderers. Man, with the tax, I'm looking at another $1200. So be it. Thanks for your commentx and suggestions.

Old 02 February 2014   #33
RAM, or lack thereof, on a videocard has been one of the longest standing issues facing GPU rendering, so yeah, the Titan being a 6GB card and yet living between GTX and quadro budgets makes it good value if you've suffered for that bottleneck but don't want to fork out the preposterous amount of money for the high loaded Quadros. Not surprising they recommend one. The Redshift guys were also pretty enthusiastic last I read them write about it.

It depends on what you render as well though. If you do a lot of normal res, texture less pack shots then you might very well never bump into the issue. If you do environment work then it'll be a godsend.

All in all I don't feel mine was wasted money, just it's situational value wise, only a niche, which you might very well be part of, really gets its money back from spending on one.

Old 03 March 2014   #34
Yes, FurryBall use ALL cuda cores in the system.
We have in our benchmark page also 4 Titans
http://www.aaa-studio.cz/furrybench/benchResults4.php

BTW, 2 cores on 590, 690 and 790 cards mean 1 card (but in fact there are 2 cards inside).

Next question - No, FurryBall doesn't need any SLI, just use all CUDA cores in the system.
For example this setup has 4x590 - (8 cores)

Last edited by furryball : 03 March 2014 at 07:37 AM.

Old 03 March 2014   #35
Originally Posted by furryball: Yes, FurryBall use ALL cuda cores in the system.
We have in our benchmark page also 4 Titans
http://furryball.aaa-studio.eu/abou...benchmarks.html

BTW, 2 cores on 590, 690 and 790 cards mean 1 card (but in fact there are 2 cards inside).

Next question - No, FurryBall doesn't need any SLI, just use all CUDA cores in the system.
For example this setup has 4x590 - (8 cores)
http://www.aaa-studio.cz/furrybench...ersion=4.6#2388
I have the GTX 690, which I plan to use for 2 displays. The GTX Titan will be only used for the GPU-accelerated renderer.

In the case of Furryball (which I'm considering), does my set-up make sense? I assume there's a dialog to choose which card gets used by display and which for Furryball. Yes?

Thanks for your info.

Old 03 March 2014   #36
Originally Posted by shokan: I have the GTX 690, which I plan to use for 2 displays. The GTX Titan will be only used for the GPU-accelerated renderer.
In the case of Furryball (which I'm considering), does my set-up make sense? I assume there's a dialog to choose which card gets used by display and which for Furryball. Yes?
Thanks for your info.

For FurryBall you can select which card is used for CUDA rendering and which for rasterize render (DX biased rendering).

For CUDA there is very IMPORTANT combine SAME cards, because if you use TITAN and 680 for example, it will work, but Titan will wait for slower card and you will have ONLY 3 GB memory (the maximum of the lowest card - GPU memory is NEVER sum for more GPUs!!!)...

But clever combination is to use 1.core of 690 like sytem GPU, 2.core of 690 for rasterize rendering and Titan for CUDA.
If you have different card for Rasterize render than system GPU, it will NOT slowdown viewport when FurryBall render. You will almost don't know, that system renders.

reply share thread