Are 3D-Palace tutorials any good?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Question Are 3D-Palace tutorials any good?

I've done a bit of searching, only found like two opinions on it so might as well ask on here:

How good are the tutorials found on www.3d-palace.com ? A few have said they suck while others believe they're pretty good. I know of the tutorials found with 3ds Max 2013 and the ones on 3D Buzz, but I like to shop around.

Thoughts or opinions on 3D Palace?

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Personally, I think that if you're going to pay for your tutorials, you should go with Digital Tutors - from what I've seen, they appear to have the best tutorials around. That said, the tutorials on 3d-palace look okay and the results appear to be great.

If I were you, I'd probably do more research into different tutorial sites and see what's best for you - there are definitely more than just two sites with great tutorials on offer.

Old 01 January 2013   #3
Well, I won't have to pay for the 3D Palace tutorials, I can get them for free. But, I wanted to see if they were worth the time spent watching them. A couple opinions mentioned they were sloppy and using incorrect techniques when building something. And, even tho I asked this question on the forum, it doesn't mean I'm not done searching around for who does some good tutorials. I just don't want to be swimming in a sea of tutorials and everyone has a different teaching method, which would probably confuse me.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that my budget won't really allow me to pay for very expensive tutorials. And, I saw how much a yearly subscription at Digital Tutors can cost ($400) and that's beyond my price range. Which is why I asked about 3D Palace, since I can get their tutorials for free.

Last edited by IvansNotHome : 01 January 2013 at 03:48 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #4
3D-palace is OK, but some of their stuff is not really worth doing.

It also depends on what you're wanting to learn, if you need beginner tutorials there are better options, and for specific stuff there's tons of information online.

Old 01 January 2013   #5
3D palace don't have a big selection and what they have isn't structured for integrated learning very well IMHO. Digital Tutors has the absolute hugest selection covering everything. You dont have to spend $399 in one go, you can buy a months subscription for about $45 and leave it at that, or come back in a few months and buy another month subs. A months subs gives you access to every video on DT without restrictions or limits.

Old 01 January 2013   #6
Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it!

@ darthviper107 - I did forget to mention what my focus is on; it would mostly be creating 3D models of vehicles, aircraft, heavy military machinery and even large mecha/robot type units. And, also animating them.

@ Dillster - You're absolutely right, I can just pay monthly and I did consider that but felt that I might cheat myself and end up having it cost me a lot in the end run, mainly because of my current work schedule and everything else. I would feel I wouldn't have enough time to fully utilize their tutorials so I would end up paying $45/mth for something I would rarely get the chance to use.

Old 01 January 2013   #7
It might depend on what level you are at as a user already, but I've found the Eat3D ones I've seen to be very good. They're aimed at someone who already has at least basic knowledge of using the program so they don't waste time going over basic view navigation and theory.

They have one that sounds like the sort of thing you're looking for:

http://eat3d.com/dozer_part1

They can be bought individually as DVDs or as a subscription service.

I haven't seen that one myself.

But if the 3D Palace ones are free for you already then it's hard to argue against at least trying them.

Old 01 January 2013   #8
I used the 3d palace ED 209 tutorial and it really helped get my head into the different types of modelling and all the techniques max has to offer. I also found the tutorials helped to improve my understanding of how to re create areas of the model that have gone wrong or are badly topologised and to have a firm understanding of the quickest and easiest ways to make complicated models

In my opinion some of the more basic digital tutors stuff kinda looks like the free tutorials you get in 3d magazines and not up to the greatest of standards

Old 01 January 2013   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread