Which School Should I Attend?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2010   #1
Which School Should I Attend?

Hey guys,
I'm 16 and I've been teaching myself animation using tutorials or just messing around by myself. And I've always wanted to be a game designer and make animation my profession.
And I need help deciding which school to go to when I graduate from highschool, which is in about 1-2 years.

I live in Los Angeles, California, so I would appreciate if the school you recomend is in or near where live. Please tell me why I should go to that school along with the name of it.

I really appreciate it

-Eric

Old 09 September 2010   #2
DeVry

Also does any one know if DeVry University is good or not?
From what I searched around, that's the best one I was able to find. (from my understanding)

Old 09 September 2010   #3
First I'll say, within 15 minuets of looking around this forum you would already have the names of some schools to look at.

The top animation schools would be as follows.

Ringling, Florida: No one can argue they aren't one of the best in the world. I always recommend here for any animator.

CalArts, Cali: More of a traditional/experimental animation approach, but some of the most well known animations went here.

Vancouver Film School, British Columbia: They have been getting some really good reviews lately and putting out some really talented people.

Gnomon, Cali: Much better known for modeling and special effects but I hear their animation department is pretty good.

Animation Mentor, Online: A really good option if money is an issue.

Take a look around this area of the forum, LOADS of information on this stuff, especially for animators.

Edit: And no DeVry is one of the schools I like to call "Fast Food" schools. Make as many of them as you can, and pound out as many students as possible while costing you as little as possible. They will accept anyone with a check.

Time To Answer A Question: 15 Minutes
Time To Thank Someone For An Answer: 30 Seconds

Post of Wisdom

Last edited by MrConterno : 09 September 2010 at 01:10 PM.

Old 09 September 2010   #4
Edit

Originally Posted by MrConterno: First I'll say, within 15 minuets of looking around this forum you would already have the names of some schools to look at.

The top animation schools would be as follows.

Ringling, Florida: No one can argue they aren't one of the best in the world. I always recommend here for any animator.

CalArts, Cali: More of a traditional/experimental animation approach, but some of the most well known animations went here.

Vancouver Film School, British Columbia: They have been getting some really good reviews lately and putting out some really talented people.

Gnomon, Cali: Much better known for modeling and special effects but I hear their animation department is pretty good.

Animation Mentor, Online: A really good option if money is an issue.

Take a look around this area of the forum, LOADS of information on this stuff, especially for animators.

Edit: And no DeVry is one of the schools I like to call "Fast Food" schools. Make as many of them as you can, and pound out as many students as possible while costing you as little as possible. They will accept anyone with a check.

Thanks for your reply
So I narrowed it down to the ones in Cali because I'm limited.
So it's either between CalArts, Cali or Gnomon, Cali.
I went to Gnomon's website and the address said Hollywood (that's where I live!)
but you said it's mainly for visual effects and modelling, but I think a place that would teach the whole set for game design would be great.

So which one of those would you choose if you were looking forward to becoming a game designer?
Thanks a bunch

Edit: I also looked at the website for CalArts and it wasn't really specific about game design or animation in general. It seems to be mostly about art, theatre, etc

Last edited by iinSaane : 09 September 2010 at 09:05 PM. Reason: CalArts

Old 09 September 2010   #5
"So which one of those would you choose if you were looking forward to becoming a game designer?"

Let me kind of clarify, are you looking for animation or game design? They are two totally different skills.

Animation is simply making stuff move. You bring things to life.

Game design is more focused on story structure, level designing (partially), character back stories, things in games that are much less art focused.

And to answer your question more directly, for someone wanting to animate games, between Gnomon and CalArts, I'd choose Gnomon.

One thing I do suggest doing is getting a one month subscription to Digital Tutors (link below), it costs $45 and is worth every cent. Download a trial version of Maya (also below). Then do as many videos as possible. That should give you a decent feel for the different kinds of CG art and ensure animation is what you want to pursue. Even just the introduction to Maya video (11 hours long) gives a great over view of the entire production pipeline.

Digital Tutors: http://www.digitaltutors.com
Maya Trial: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servle...112&id=13578047

Post of Wisdom

Old 09 September 2010   #6
Sorry

I want to major in game design not media animation like movies and such.

Edit: I'm using 3ds max 2011 & Unity 3d so I don't need to download maya

Last edited by iinSaane : 09 September 2010 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Edit

Old 09 September 2010   #7
This might sound dumb but what is "Game Design"? It seems like a very general term. Is that coming up with the whole concept and storyboarding it out or something?

Old 09 September 2010   #8
Originally Posted by KillahPriest: This might sound dumb but what is "Game Design"? It seems like a very general term. Is that coming up with the whole concept and storyboarding it out or something?

it's everything that makes a game what it is...
Storyboard
Audio
Modelling/Texturing Characters etc
Animating the Characters
Scripting
etc

Old 09 September 2010   #9
That's not game design - that would be level designing, weapon balancing, conversation writing, and so on. Haven't got anything to do with art, it's about the gameplay, mechanics, storytelling, and so on.

And what you listed are all pretty different fields of game art anyway, you should choose one or maybe two of them to look into. Animation, modeling, technical stuff are all pretty different, not to mention audio...

Maybe you should start to read more about how these things are actually done? There are plenty of websites, books and such that go into details.

Old 09 September 2010   #10
It sounds like you may be a bit confused atm, which is understandable. I suggest you look into the book series "Game Development Essentials" by Jeannie Novak. She has a lot of great books on all the different areas of games. They are expensive but many schools use them as text books. I have most of the collection and it was very helpful in clearing up a lot of my questions about games.

Post of Wisdom

Old 09 September 2010   #11
See you slightly confused on what game design universities cover, will try to sum it up from my experience:

Character modelling / 3ds Max / Maya / ZBrush

Environmental modelling / 3ds Max / Maya

Character animation / Maya

Game Design documentation / Storyboards

Level Design / UTIII / Unity / Crytek II / UDK / Source / Hero

Narratology

Games Marketing / Market analysis

Scripting / U Script

Programming

Keep in mind that these are the generic topics,

some Unis will be very modelling heavy whilst others will be more bent towards the theory of gaming and actual game design.

Ask before joining a Uni / College as the first reason for uni fail is students that did not inform themselves enough regarding their course and found themselves studying Spanning Tree Protocols on Cisco routers instead of game design.

Old 09 September 2010   #12
Originally Posted by Rahl: Ask before joining a Uni / College as the first reason for uni fail is students that did not inform themselves enough regarding their course and found themselves studying Spanning Tree Protocols on Cisco routers instead of game design.

Quoted for importance

I've talked to a good amount of people that were ready to apply to a school and commit money when they didn't know enough about the school. You can never do to much research.

Post of Wisdom

Old 09 September 2010   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread