R8 [announcement] Q&a

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2002
hmm not that I know of, I will see whatI can find out for you, one thing I would recommend for what little expresso I have used so far I found doing a group window for expresso with another AM manager wquite handy, that way whenever I have expresso visible there are two AM's available, on ehtat I lock to whatever I am working on, and the other is freee for whatever else I may select at that time. quite handy.

10 October 2002
ok, thanks

i was wondering if there should be a thread here for bugs in this pre-release... or just send them off to maxon, i just managed to crash my machine (which is quite hard to do in osx) by trying to undo spline editing (after going through the first part of the tp tutorial in a seperate project), dunno if this is a known issue, or something to do with my machine. did an edit on a spline, tried to undo... c4d r8 bombed out, reloaded c4d, made a spline object, accidentaly used the draw spline instead of akima, so only one point, hit undo... machine froze, pressed escape, and it continued for a second before freezing solid, had to reboot.

10 October 2002
Network Rendering

I have a question... what happens if i have a network consisting of a mac and three pc's and i want to network render in version 8 (the mac is my main machine that i have c4d on) is there a way of setting this up so that i can send stuff to render from my mac to the pc's as i could in v7? It's just i've been told that you can't cross platform network render anymore, which would be a bit of a major problem for me in the coming weeks (and i should imagine for most studios using c4d too).

if i can do this... can someone please guide me through this.

10 October 2002
Re: Network Rendering

Quote: Originally posted by mdme_sadie
if i can do this... can someone please guide me through this.

AFAIK, you can still net render most scenes in a cross-platform environment. You may run into problems with GI, TP and Soft-Ik that can be expected with random functions and mixed networks, but I haven't tested those so I'm not sure.

What you heard was probably in reference to the fact that the net server is now platform-keyed to either Mac or Windows, so you have to choose which platform to use as a net server and stick with it. Other than that, you should be able to run your network just like in R7.

- Rick -

10 October 2002
so the server on for instance mac... but it's fine for the nodes to be any type of machine right? pheeeew. you've made me a relieved man ... but please can someone who's tried this let me know what issues i might come up against (i'm thinking of spending some money on a couple of machines for network rendering, but i need to know what's what).

you can bake the particles in v8 right? and animation tracks for mocca i would presume? (and save gi solutions?)

Last edited by mdme_sadie : 10 October 2002 at 11:48 PM.

10 October 2002
as I understand it TP particles can't be baked, but the ol particle system still can yes. as for animation tracks, the one problem withthat is there are dynamics and such in the SIK solution now and those will vary from computer to compter so you'd have to create a keyframe for every frame to bake it really. And Gisolutions, I have no clue about, but somone must know a solution for this already from XL 7 shouldn't they?

10 October 2002
ok the motion inheritance tag is cool... but how do i get motion inheritance from the emitter for particle birth, and not during the rest of the particles life? so that the particles carry on travelling at their own velocity, but their innitial velocity/vector is defined by the motion of the emitter object (and the particles position on the emitter, for instance on a propeller type shape that's spinning, particles emitting from the ends of the blades are moving faster than those emitting closer to the axis, and particles trying to emit from the back of the blades move slower because they're inheriting the movement that subtracts from the emission speed, as well as taking into account things like particle weight and drag, which would of course affect the velocity from the front of the blade considerably).

10 October 2002
Hi,
the PStorm node has an output port named "Particle Birth" which is very much like the PPass but only at the moment a particle is born.
Another possibility is to use PPass and the PAge node. You can set this to Type=Born which will set the output to true when a particle passed by PPass is newly born.
If you want to use the Emitters velocity to set the particles starting velocity you can just set this with PSetData. Any geometry object has an Output Port "Position Velocity" that you can use to read the data. If the Emitter is a particle just use PGetData to read it's velocity.
When using a particle as Emitter it's a good idea to connect the Particles Velocity with the the Emitters Velocity Input port. This allows for a much smoother (Frame independent) output of the particles.
Regards
Srek

10 October 2002
ok thanks... here's my solution that i came up with after taking your advice and going through the tutorials you've been posting.
Attached Images
File Type: gif inheritparticles.gif (13.2 KB, 282 views)

11 November 2002
I am new on this forum, but I've been working with C4d XL 7.2 for almost a year now.

I downloaded the R8 demo and I am modeling a sportscar now, unfortunately I can't save it, so I won't be able to finnish it . Isn't there a way to save the temp file? (although i guess you're not supposed to )

Anyway to the point:

-If I have a few curved polys and want to extrude them, they are extruded along their average axis.
I want to extrude along the y-axis, without the selection being rescaled. Locking the axis doesn't work. I must be missing an option somewhere.

PS: I did a rendering-test with XL7.2 on different pc's, I will translate it sometimes and post it here.
I also compared the renderingspeed of XL7.2 with R8 on one machine (p4 2ghz 256mb ddr333):

XL7.2____R8______faster__scene
73 sec___60sec___18%____small scene, skylight radiosity
395 sec__262 sec__34%___as above plus one areashadow omni light
587 sec__415 sec__29%___large raytrace scene, multiple lights

11 November 2002
in the active tool dialogue set the extrude to 0 m, and then move the new extruded polys on the y axis, not the best way to have to do things but you get used to it.

11 November 2002
Or get the *free* MESS plugin from 3DDesigner. Sorry I don't have the URL handy, but I can find it later if no one else posts it first.

11 November 2002
You can Download MESS from Samir Kharchi´s site:
http://www.the3ddesigner.de/download.html

Gunter

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread