Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #16
Mrkat
"mostly harmless..?!!"

portfolio
Ken Beyer
Freelance 2D/3D
United Kingdom

Send a message via ICQ to Mrkat Send a message via AIM to Mrkat Send a message via MSN to Mrkat Send a message via Yahoo to Mrkat
Before you go spending any money, did you try activating VBO's as was suggested above? Try that first and then maybe add a bit more memory if your current MB will allow.. unless you want to get into Blender (or other 3D stuff for that matter) in a reasonably serious way, don't waste money buying something without first figuring out what the fundamental problem is, there are plenty of people using high-end workstations and still getting into performance trouble because either Blender (or scene management etc) or something on their system isn't configure for better performance.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #17
DrCharbonneau
Time-Space Physicist

portfolio
Dr. R. D. Charbonneau A.Ph.D.
Astrophysicist
Charbonneau Arts & Research
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkat
Before you go spending any money, did you try activating VBO's as was suggested above? Try that first and then maybe add a bit more memory if your current MB will allow.. unless you want to get into Blender (or other 3D stuff for that matter) in a reasonably serious way, don't waste money buying something without first figuring out what the fundamental problem is, there are plenty of people using high-end workstations and still getting into performance trouble because either Blender (or scene management etc) or something on their system isn't configure for better performance.

I haven't really changed much of anything at the moment. It will be a while before I buy much other than lumber and other HI supplies.

I imagine I failed to ask the pertinent question: What are VBO's? (My demented mind can think up quite a few demented expansions for that ...)

Old 06-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #18
hvanderwegen
Expert

Herbert van der wegen

From the manual:
Quote:
VBOs Use Vertex Buffer Objects, or vertex arrays if unsupported, for viewport rendering. Helps to speed up viewport rendering by allowing vertex array data to be stored in Graphics card memory.

You will find this option in the opengl settings in the system tab of the preferences. It makes a major difference in viewport performance.

Other tips to improve viewport performance, and some other related Blender specific caveats:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/sho...ort-performance

Old 06-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #19
DrCharbonneau
Time-Space Physicist

portfolio
Astrophysicist
USA

Funny this didn't notify me in my email...

Changed that and will see what happens. Did a little boning up on VBO's, VBA's, etc., so another learning experience is upon me. So far I have a drawing with about 0.5Mverts. It's been bogging down the machine, so maybe this will change things...

Edit:

No cigar. Still pretty slow. Not impossible, but slow. Zooms and selection, etc. take a few seconds and jump instead of flowing smoothly.

Last edited by DrCharbonneau : 06-04-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #20
DrCharbonneau
Time-Space Physicist

portfolio
Astrophysicist
USA

707000Verts. In the system preferences, the only choice for computing device is the CPU. Of course this is a laptop, still, my experiences have been if it slows down this machine, Blender will stop responding on the 2GbRAM machine.

Are there any other settings I can make to speed things up during the modeling phase, then kick them back up at render time? I noticed it is set for71DPI. If I lower that will it go easier on the system capabilities?

Old 06-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #21
DrCharbonneau
Time-Space Physicist

portfolio
Astrophysicist
USA

I've been finding ways to work around the modeling-time bottleneck of many verts. In this case, if I leave the leaves and twigs on a turned off layer, the system isn't bogged down. When render-time comes up, I turn that layer on. The rendering itself only took a few minutes. This was in Blender render.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mistyislet12.JPG (68.9 KB, 2 views)

Old 06-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #22
jtheninja
Doesn't Have a Title
portfolio
Jason Clarke
Generalist-type person
Portland, USA

In the object tab, there is a "display" field where you can set some options for this sort of thing. Notably, you can make objects draw as their bounding boxes, so you don't have to wrry about turning them on or off. You can also hide things in the viewport by clicking the little eye symbol in the outliner. "hide" in Blender is separate for viewport vs render, so the object will still be there at render time.

Remember that modifiers can be switched off in the viewport, and things like subdivision and particles can be shown at a reduced resolution as well.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:34 AM   #23
DrCharbonneau
Time-Space Physicist

portfolio
Astrophysicist
USA

Bounding boxes! There's a V8 moment.

I was able to bring in another reasonably complex object and, as long as I keep the leaves turned off I'm running right along. I'm going to do some new variations of these scenes and try my hand at UV mapping and creating textures in Twisted Brush Open and now Gimp. I found these on line and could use them for starters and work them over in one of those. As for mapping, that is another plateau, but I'm wondering if I might not be able to do a pseudo map, meaning my best screen rendition of what I would envision in my mind about an object unwrapping around, probably, its z axis on the tree. I could do a good grass in a number of ways. I found that once I put that cloud generator in place, I'd be best to leave it and I have no idea how to get back into changing the ocean...

The above rendering had over 710000 verts and I think it took about 5 minutes to render.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg landho1.JPG (86.9 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by DrCharbonneau : 06-06-2013 at 02:46 AM.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #24
hvanderwegen
Expert

Herbert van der wegen

With more complex scenes you will soon discover that changing the visual display settings only work on a per object basis, unfortunately. To workaround this limitation, and generally speed up your workflow, this addon is essential:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/E...n/Display_Tools

Activate it in the user preferences addons tab under 3d view.

Another handy one to quickly change some of the default preferences (without saving):
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/E...tion/QuickPrefs

Last edited by hvanderwegen : 06-07-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #25
DrCharbonneau
Time-Space Physicist

portfolio
Astrophysicist
USA

I downloaded the file and will give it a whirl.

I've noticed that certain functions, such as the cloud generator, have few vertices and use little RAM, but have the CPU running at 100% for long periods. I remember somewhere, in another forum I think, someone mentioned about burning out CPU's with some CG software...

Old 06-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #26
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread