Aoyama-Craig
Disgruntled Lefty
portfolio
Craig Hironori Aoyama
Freelance Illustrator
Charlotte, USA

Send a message via AIM to Aoyama-Craig
Left-handed, looking to buy Intuos 5 or Cintiq 13" HOWEVER

All the buttons for these devices are on the left. My latest tablet, god rest it (10 year lifespan before it started going nutty), had touch pads and buttons on either side. The important thing here is that the touch pad was VERY useful to me and I would always disable the left one and use the right one (else my left hand would constantly touch the left touch strip and that is mighty annoying).

My big question is - do they make a left-friendly version with buttons on the right or perhaps is there an option to flip the tablet so that buttons would be on the right and reverse the sensory so it would properly coordinate with my screen?

I could just "deal with it" but I want to know if I don't have to. In terms of latest technology my only choice is to find another great condition Intuos 3 with ambidextrous buttons OR shell out $2600 for a lovely new Cintiq 22/24". Believe me when I say I would love to have one of these but I would probably have to take out a loan just to get it :\

Any insight or opinions on this would be great! It seems most others are against me on this subject, including other lefties who use their mouses on the right and just deal with right-handed products anyway. That just isn't me and up until now it's been working out fine for me.

Additionally I have heard mixed but mostly negative things about Wacom's competitors so I'd rather just leave those alone, if you have any heavy counterpoints I'd love to hear them anyway.

TLDR : Intuos 5/Cintiq 13" don't seem nice for lefties, am I wrong about this? Why?

Look at my work!
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=31&t=602400

Old 05-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Aoyama-Craig
Disgruntled Lefty
portfolio
Craig Hironori Aoyama
Freelance Illustrator
Charlotte, USA

http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?t=14013&p=51203

So far this is all I've really found on the subject (if I had a cintiq I'd still use my main monitor for browsing) so it does apply to me and it doesn't sound terribly encouraging.

Looking up good loans now :\

Look at my work!

Old 05-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
Aoyama-Craig
Disgruntled Lefty
portfolio
Craig Hironori Aoyama
Freelance Illustrator
Charlotte, USA

Is there a better place to post this question? Wacom forums don't seem to be helping much :(

Look at my work!

Old 05-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Can't say about the cintiq personally, but the intuous has a handedness option in the drivers, and two USB ports so you can choose if the cable is on the upper or lower end of it regardless of handedness.
It can be confusing because you have to set both the tablet's handedness and the orientation in the mapping, but that's it.

The tablet can be turned and plugged any way. It's not a case that from the 4 on they started putting two logos on the pad, one upside down and one facing up.

The cintiq, I suspect, is not multidirectional the same way, as the stand is clearly meant to only work one way. It's not a big deal as the buttons don't get as in the way as the old ones did, but it's a bit of a shame to lose them.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 05-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
Aoyama-Craig
Disgruntled Lefty
portfolio
Craig Hironori Aoyama
Freelance Illustrator
Charlotte, USA

That helps a lot, if this is true I can try for a new Intuos!

Apparently I'm also wrong about the cintiq13 stand. Derps all around!

End of thread :P

Look at my work!

Old 05-07-2013, 02:10 AM   #6
pomru
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
Can't say about the cintiq personally, but the intuous has a handedness option in the drivers, and two USB ports so you can choose if the cable is on the upper or lower end of it regardless of handedness.
It can be confusing because you have to set both the tablet's handedness and the orientation in the mapping, but that's it.

The tablet can be turned and plugged any way. It's not a case that from the 4 on they started putting two logos on the pad, one upside down and one facing up.

The cintiq, I suspect, is not multidirectional the same way, as the stand is clearly meant to only work one way. It's not a big deal as the buttons don't get as in the way as the old ones did, but it's a bit of a shame to lose them.

Wacom's website states that the Cintiq 13HD can do both left and right-handed orientation. The stand is detachable from the tablet, so you can rotate the tablet 180 and have the buttons on the right-hand side instead of the left-hand side like how it's shown in all the product photos.

I would not write off Wacom's competitors so quickly. Ray Frenden has been doing graphic tablet reviews on his blog, and he thinks that Wacom no longer has a monopoly on graphics tablets like Adobe Photoshop has over 2D graphics software. Based on Frenden's reviews, I'd almost recommend the Yiynova DP10U or the MSP19U tablets as alternates except that neither model fit Aoyama-Craig's requirements. The MSP19u lacks buttons, and the DP10U doesn't seem left-friendly as the Wacom tablets.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:12 AM   #7
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoyama-Craig
That helps a lot, if this is true I can try for a new Intuos!

Apparently I'm also wrong about the cintiq13 stand. Derps all around!

End of thread :P

I stand corrected on the cintiq stand, it seemed a gross oversight it wouldn't roll actually, but apparently (according to Pomru above) it does. As I said, I haven't even seen a C13 yet, but I can confirm the intuous personally.

One setting will flip the mapping diagonally (the tablet seetings) and flip vertically the icons in the oled buttons, that allows you to turn it around with the accessible buttons on the right. Another setting for handedness is for tracking, tilt etc.

They have been solid left hand friendly devices for a few years now.

I have no first hand experience with Yiynova, but insofar I read a lot of mixed bags reviews and (allegedly) a high return rate, on top of non configurable buttons (Which IMO are a big deal, particularly in zbrush).
The price makes it interesting since the C13 is so grossly overpriced (more than a full touch sensitive and pressure sensitive tablet with a full blown PC attached like the surface pro), but I'm not sold on the idea yet. If only I could try one, but they are unavailable for test drives anywhere I looked.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 05-07-2013, 04:12 AM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread