portfolio
Benoit Leonard
3D artist
art setup
Santiago, Chile

Send a message via MSN to l2k
annoying and unexplained bug

hi all !

i had a win7 pretty old installation (15month), hard to boot, a bit buggy inside, seriously heavy.
i made a nice and clean format, then reinstalled it new.
since, i've experienced a seriously annoying problem.
every 20min0sec of no mouse activity on the left (primary) screen, it goes black, and shut the sound.
if it was a movie or music, it pauses it. but, it the aplication is runing on the right screen, it still goes, execpt there's no sound output.

i tried off my ram, updates and downdated all of my drivers. nothing. that weird thing continues.
of course, it stops my renders too.
and no, its not the screensaver or the power management.

my bios is same as before. i rarely touch stuff in there. i'd like to think of a hardware bug, but how comes that its every 20min on the stopwatch ?
i reviewed every win component i thought of, nothing indicates me 20 min.

i reformated it again then reinstalled it again. i even took someone else's dvd to install it in case mine was scratched for some reason. exactly same thing.

anyone can help ?

if any help, thats an i7 950 bloomfield, on an asus p6x58 premium motherboard, and a geforce 460. and 3x2gb ram kingston.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
tswalk
Expert

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

honestly, from here its' really hard to say.. but for me, when i see sh!t like that start happening.. its' usually some kind of hardware failure. Hard disk going bad, or video... inadequate or just poorly performing PSU.

first try getting a low level formatting program to scrub the drive.. western digital and seagate have tools to check the disk integrity and do low level formats. if anything at all pops up using their tools, you know the deal there.

for the PSU... you'll have to phone a friend or be a millionaire and buy one/replace and test it out.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

If its every 20 minutes to the dot, it absolutely must be one of the power management settings. If not an official windows feature, have you gone through and installed the manufacturers driver suites? for example if you install the asus motherboard tools and drivers, they add a second useless power saving mode that can kick in after 20 mins.

the nvidia or ati driver may also contain a power management feature. If youve additionally installed their relative hdmi audio drivers, they may kick in and mute your audio.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:07 AM   #4
l2k
Priest of the Great Cube
portfolio
Benoit Leonard
3D artist
art setup
Santiago, Chile

Send a message via MSN to l2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by imashination
the asus motherboard tools and drivers add a second useless power saving mode that can kick in after 20 mins.

i owe you a drink, mate.
thanks

Old 02-14-2013, 12:07 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread