Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 09-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
EightBit
Lord of the posts
Mitch Rosefelt
OutThereSumwhere, USA

Using game technology for non-game animation

Recently I've seen some incredible real-time renders from game engines. I'm not a gamer and have never worked on a game, but am exploring the the idea of learning to author in one of the game engines to use as a renderer. I've looked at great examples from Unity, Crysis and sourceFilmmaker (Valve). The environments are great and it looks like animating is an order of magnitude faster than a 3D app, but in most of the examples I've seen the facial animation still looks pretty stiff - not enough resolution in the faces for subtlety (with the exception of this proprietary solution).
I don't know what the workflow would look like, but it seems that one could use a game engine for environment/rendering and import facial animation (or other subtle types of animation) either onto a character in the game engine or using a export tool like alembic.
Alternatively, I see that Maya is also evolving to take advantage of this technology.
I'm curious what insights other might share and any tools/recommendations for how to approach this?

Thanks.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
jgibz
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Jack Gibbons
USA

Seems like a good idea. I see rendered content being replaced by real time in the near future. Game engines are already being used for Previsualization. Considering the Crisis engine is one of the best looking out there, and available for free, I'd take a look into how to utilize the tools. Unity is getting better and better, and if your concerned about multi-platform, then I'd brush up on it as well. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if all the free tools go for browser/mobile/console in the next couple of years.

some more eye candy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJt-mlLk10k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I57d8uADKVM

Non proprietary toolsets used by both VFX and game artist are essentially the same. It certainly makes sense that viewport evolution is a priority to Autodesk and third pary developers.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
mickna
epicure
Michael
Munich, Germany

Also interested in this.
I feel a promising approach could be Crytek:

http://mycryengine.com/index.php?conid=1
http://mycryengine.com/index.php?conid=59

However, I am unsure who much this could cost. If I think about a game studio is buying a license for a game (what will this cost? 1.000.000$ ??) and pay a fee for every sold game, so how much would a engine cost for a movie or commercial?

However, I believe there a much projects out there which could be done with a real time engine.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
DeadlyNightshade
Plz...

portfolio
Martin Dahlin
Jr. Technical Artist
King
Stockholm, Sweden

Maybe go with Unreal Development Kit then?
It's free to use - even commercially. But you will have to pay license costs if you earn more than 50 000 USD from anything you create with it... or something like that. That might be worth looking up?

Old 09-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
vancliff
Expert
portfolio
Ivan Agustin Pedraza Peluffo
Barranquilla, Colombia

Send a message via MSN to vancliff Send a message via Yahoo to vancliff
You could give a try to Machstudio Pro 2.0. You can get it for free at Download.com It uses the gpu for rendering but it only have plugins for maya 2010-2011 I guess. And is now defunct. So you wont get any help or tutorials.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
EightBit
Lord of the posts
Mitch Rosefelt
OutThereSumwhere, USA

Old 09-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread