CGTalk > Techniques > Anatomy and Figurative Art
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 01-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
drawone
Veteran
Y
USA

any recommendation for comic book artist?

Hi,
i was never really a big fan of american(?) comic book artists until i found that i can learn a lot about character, figure, anatomy drawings and concepts from these. Since i am only used to Asian, Japanese comics, would you please recommend your favorite comic book artists?
haha, actually i went and visited a comic book shop first time in my life today in midtown, and there were just sooooo many of great artists. please give me a starting point, maybe you guy can help me..

thansk

Old 01-13-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
Graworks
portfolio
Evgeny Botvinnik
Saint Petersburg, Russia

You may find useful to visit http://lambiek.net/ for a huge list of authors with short bios and examples.

However it is mostly devoted to so called BD, bande designee, Europe-style comics.

Among my favorites are Moebius, Serpieri, Manara, Dufosse.

In my opinion, it may be useful to study not anatomy, but composition, page layout rules from comics pages.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:10 AM   #3
kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Professionally unemployed
Surrey, Canada

Brian Bolland is my favorite along with John Buscema and a couple of EC comic artists.

Bolland also have a website where he discusses some techniques like digital inking.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:41 AM   #4
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

I find the more exaggerated styles less helpful than the more natural styles, because in the more exaggerated styles like the typical superhero comic book, everyone is muscular and everyone looks like they are constantly flexing all of their muscles, which just looks a bit silly and comical to me. Even the most buff person in the world doesn't look like he's constantly straining all his muscles--when he's just sitting around, he'll look quite different from when he's taking a swing at a bad guy.

Another problem is that many comic book guys draw people as if they're cadavers--that's the negative result of learning only from anatomy books instead of observing real people who have layers of fat and skin on top of their muscles and bones.

My personal favorites are guys like Adam Hughes, Steve Rude, Frank Cho, Stuart Immonen...etc. Basically, the further away from Rob Liefeld and all styles associated with that school, the better.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:41 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread