Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 07-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #1
Hadean
portfolio
España

What is happening here to my mesh?

Hi!
I´m modelling this face, and aplying soft-hard edges, but this really weird shading appears and there is no way to get rid of it. The xtrange thing is that when I press "3" key, smoothing, those shadings dissapear, but not in non smoothed mode. If I do a render, the shading is still there.... any idea of what is happening to me?? I´ve been doing the same treatments in other places of the model, eg legs, and it doesn´t happen....

Thanks a lot!

As I´m having problems to upload a picture, I´ll put it´s address here:
https://myspace.com/anafreimar/mixe.../photo/19743441

Last edited by Hadean : 07-15-2013 at 07:56 AM.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:55 AM   #2
moneytakea
Veteran
portfolio
USA

I think something is wrong with your image upload. Try re-posting it, but from what your saying it sounds like a normals issue. Have you tried checking to see if they are all checking the same direction ? If they are try setting them to "Hard". Try that and let me know.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:06 AM   #3
Nasok
Tim
portfolio
Artem Paramonov
Senior 3D Creative
Iris Worldwide
Singapore, Singapore

normal normals ?

Hey, I think it is something to do with the normals. or non planar faces.

As you know it is better if your faces is planar (more or less). When you smooth (num 3) basically Maya shows you subdivided preview.
What you can do is - try manipulating normals, you can conform them or set per face.
If this will not help, but you're happy with the model it self, you can subdivide it (with operation) not just pressing number 3.
You can also go to Mesh > Clean UP.. and see if you have non planar faces. SO Maya will point them out for you.

Do these artifacts appear in render if you hit num 3 and smooth it ?

Cheers.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
Hadean
portfolio
España

Shadows no more there ;-)

Thanks a lot both to Moneytakea and Nasok.

Direction of nomals was ok, and I did that thing of cleaning non planar faces but turn them into triangles, so I reversed it. Anyway I had made some cleanups before posting the question. I did the "set to face" with the normals and the strange shadings dissapeared! but their looks were too strong, then I started changing the "set normal angle" thing and I´m managing to reach something quite similar to what I was looking for, appart from the fact that the ugly shadows are there anymore (they only dissapeared when I pressed 3 key).

Thanks a lot! Now I´ve learned a bit more ;-)

Old 07-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread