Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
carbonated92
portfolio
Fayzal
United Kingdom

Best ncloth settings for table cloth

hey just started learning maya ncloth for my project, pretty easy so far but i've run into two problems:

1. what are the best setting to get close to realistic cloth tabletob movement settings, what should i be playing around with> (the ncloth, nrigid or the nucleus?)

2. whenever i press play to see the simulation it kinda falls on the table top, no matter how close i put it, is there a way where it can just spawn on the table top so i dont have to deal with that bounce?

thanks guys.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:22 AM   #2
VB2341
Frequenter
portfolio
Varun Bajaj
Troy, US

Your first question is best answered with a lot of trial and error.
As far as the second one goes, in the nDynamics section under nSolver, you can use the set the initial state from the current frame. Basically you would wait for the cloth to come to rest, and then set that as the initial state.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:06 AM   #3
cineartist
Student Of The Craft

portfolio
Richard Culver
Hayward, USA

For #1, start by simply clicking on the visible cloth object in the view port and find the nclothshape node in the Attribute editor.

I am sure you know that already, just making sure we are on the same page.

In that node you'll find all of the settings for the cloth object. Start with a preset like silk or Tshirt.

From there, the next thing to do is determine your scene scale. Have you created your table to real word units? 1 unit in Maya is 1 CM. If so, you need to change your nucleus scale which is tuned to 1 unit is 1 meter. If you are using real world units your table will be extremely large compared to the default grid. If you have not paid attention to scale, now is the time to scale the objects and freeze transforms/delete history. (before making the object an ncloth) Is is not a good idea to be in the middle and guessing on scale. So likely your table will be something like 100 x 100 CM at least. Or if not to scale would be 1 x 1. Don't play with ambiguous units to keep is simple.

So what I mean here is use either Maya scale or Nucleus scale. And use a real world measurement for the table and cloth.

So in the case of a 100 unit table (just as a simple example) go to the nucleus node and under Scale Attributes, set the Space Scale to .01

Then back in your cloth node set the Lift And Drag values at least to half or more. You can play with these values.

In the case of a 1x1 table don't change anything in the nucleus or in the Lift and Drag.

Now your default gravity and everything is working realistically.

And you have a preset to work with.

The best tip here, is before you start playing with the values in your cloth node, jump back over to the nucleus node and adjust the Solver Attributes.

Something like Sub steps to 24 and Max Collision Iterations to something like 16. I am not saying these settings are the best recommended. I just looked at a scene I am working on and that's where I had it set. The point is, you have to give the solver more accuracy. If you don't, you will make adjustments to the cloth and be trying to solve a problem that has nothing to do with the cloth parameters. But is entirely because of the solver not having enough collisions iterations (number of times it tries to solve the collision) and substeps (number of times it calculates between frames to arrive at a correct solution). This is so key that you should not over look it.

Don't make the mistake of thinking you can set this value low and work on the cloth and then set it higher when you are ready for the final solve. It is slower to calculate, but the calculations will be a correct reading for what you have. You will waste time tinkering and waiting if you don't.

From there you can adjust things like damp, the collision radius, self collide scale and any of the other parameters.

If you want to play with presets and you have adjusted the Space Scale, you will have to change the Lift and Drag with each preset.

This should get you on the right track.

And then as mentioned you can set the initial state or even duplicate the cloth object to remove the solver in that position and then apply a new one. Or to preserve it perminately in a separate file you can export it on that frame as an obj, then import it back in a new scene or the same scene.

Last edited by cineartist : 05-22-2013 at 02:09 AM.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:06 AM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread