CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
probiner

portfolio

What areas of 3D CG are not multi-threaded?

Trying to understand which areas the multiple core showdown affects: 0.
I normally focus on modeling and it seems to get NO love from multi-threading, what more there is in the same condition?

So the other question would be. Why do I want to buy a 10-core cpu each having say 2.0GHz, versus (imagining) a QuadCore 5GHz?

Cheers

Old 05-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
circusboy
Expert
Raonull Conover
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by probiner
Trying to understand which areas the multiple core showdown affects: 0.
I normally focus on modeling and it seems to get NO love from multi-threading, what more there is in the same condition?

So the other question would be. Why do I want to buy a 10-core cpu each having say 2.0GHz, versus (imagining) a QuadCore 5GHz?

Cheers

I think you might want to focus on softwares (and their capabilities in this area) and not so much the 'area' of the pipeline.

Most software developers making a product from 'scratch' today would be pretty silly not to try and have it be multi-threaded if possible. Its only feature sets that are older -say more than ten years- that sometimes remain not multi-threaded. Most developers worth a dam rectify this -if possible- ASAP to remain competitive. SideEffects's Houdini comes to mind as a software that had/s features that went from 'single' to 'multi' when priority and resources allowed for them.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

3ds Max developers have said that not everything actually runs faster with multithreading, so some things don't do it on purpose.

Also, one thing to note, stats aren't everything. Like AMD processors have some pretty high stats, but don't compare to something from Intel with similar stats.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread