Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 08-21-2005, 02:23 PM   #31
puzzledpaul
>0
pp
United Kingdom

<< work can be done by third parties. >>

An AM export module was written for wings by an AM (and wings) user. This is no longer supported by the author (he stopped using AM -or wings) - but it might offer a silo user a way of getting their model / geom into AM?

I'm only suggesting that as a temp. measure (in this instance) wings might find use as a convertor - no more, no less

Additionally, I have no idea how how well it worked (as I never used AM) - but the guy (HowardT) that wrote the code also wrote the original Tweak / Text import / AI import code for wings - and he did an excellent job with these...

pp

Last edited by puzzledpaul : 08-21-2005 at 02:36 PM.

Old 08-21-2005, 09:32 PM   #32
Nu Visual Science
Frequenter
Me
United Kingdom

Sounds like a soultion to me
Even though i dont really use Wings at all it's always worth having it on ya drive just in case

Old 08-25-2005, 03:56 AM   #33
BigJay
Mostly Harmless
portfolio
Jason McAlpin
Zbrushling
Chaiboy Studio
Brooklyn, USA

Send a message via AIM to BigJay Send a message via MSN to BigJay Send a message via Yahoo to BigJay
The problem with exporting from any poly modeler into AM is that you will get discontinuous splines and have to fix it.

The only way to get continuous edges is to model pretty much the way you do in AM. if you spin an edge or bevel/extrude an area it will break the spline continuity.

If you really want to be able to export you need to model in sections then bring it into hash to recombine and clean up.

I've tried Lightwave to modo to wings to silo and in the end polys don't translate well.
Avoid that AM exporter in wings. I tried it and it makes every edge one every poly it's own line segment.

The easiest way to get a model out is to get it into wings. Use tighten instead of subdividing. You want to smooth it 30% then export as a DXF file. It works pretty well.

Old 08-26-2005, 09:34 AM   #34
John Keates
Fiddler

john keates
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jay
Avoid that AM exporter in wings. I tried it and it makes every edge one every poly it's own line segment.

There is a utility which works in combination with the wings export which makes the splines more continuous. I havn't used it for a while though.

Old 08-30-2005, 04:43 AM   #35
shadowfork
Pixel Pusher!

aRVie
USA

Hash don't like polys. Period.

Old 08-30-2005, 04:43 AM   #36
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread