The Return of the King....Have you been tempted to try RENDERMAN again?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
The Return of the King....Have you been tempted to try RENDERMAN again?

During this years SIGGRPAH Pixar held a very impressive  event called the 
Pixar’s RenderMan Art & Science Fair.  I honestly made my want to play with Renderman immediately. (I swear this is not an ad, I was that impressed)

One of the things i was not aware was its nimble connectivity to Blender, Cinema4D, Houdini, Katana and Maya. but of course you have to use RENDERMAN shaders.

Here are some of the highlights that i saw at the event:

RenderMan  21.5
* “Path Traced Subsurface Scattering,” advanced technique for skin and  New artistic controls provide a wide range for new effects in hair and fur.
* Rendering performance gains on scenes with thousands of light sources, or complex combinations of mesh lights, hair and fur, volumetrics, and arbitrary outputs.
* Updated Denoiser enables new compositing workflows and is substantially faster due to advanced code optimizations. |
* UI simplification and workflow improvements for secondary passes, holdouts, material presets, and deep compositing.

RenderMan 22 (Preview)
* “Always-on” rendering embedded in artist applications, responding instantly to geometry, camera, light and material edits delivers   interactive frame rates with the same renderer used for batch renders.
* Fast vectorized OSL shader network evaluation on Intel scalable-SIMD CPUs were also shown.
* RenderMan XPU renders on both CPUs and GPUs concurrently, taking full advantage of workstation resources 

So what do you guys think?
I am looking forward to your comments 

-Roberto
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Funny you would post this, just as I was trying the free, full featured version of RenderMan 21.5 in Houdini Indie.

After grappling with the nonconventional workflow of the host app and the renderer, I came away impressed. Granted the test is a simple 8k render of a displacement texture on a plane, but the quality ( and relative speed on my modest hardware ) is pretty nifty.

But to gain market share in the consumer space, Renderman will have to duke it out with its main rival - Arnold ( which is a solid renderer and comes inbuilt into Maya ) in areas where it traditionally hasn't had to bother with - Indie Studios, solo teams, hobbyists, students etc as well as maintain feature parity for high end VFX work where many big studios have their own render pipeline.

Along with the above, a lot will depend on how Pixar manages to make Renderman easy for users who do not have a team of TDs to troubleshoot issues. In this aspect, it will be competing with the likes of Vray, Octane, Carona, Redshift etc.

It's Brand name + Production proven features is half the battle. The other is convincing the target user to adopt it into their workflow. 

That said it's a great move by Pixar to embrace the wider community. I am warming to the idea that its a viable alternative to Arnold if I ever go the whole hog with Houdini.

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Looks very interesting
especially that now it has presets and ready shaders to use, I remember reading last year that it will be released free or they will open source it, I went to the website and they are still selling it
did I miss something?

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
>Granted the test is a simple 8k render of a displacement texture on a plane

Without going into the gory details of the how's & why's, that's actually a very pathological setup for prman, and definitely not representative of typical performance.

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
Originally Posted by ani_maniac: Looks very interesting
especially that now it has presets and ready shaders to use, I remember reading last year that it will be released free or they will open source it, I went to the website and they are still selling it
did I miss something?

I assure you that render man  will NOT go open source.

But you can get a Free full feature version for non commercial use
https://renderman.pixar.com/store
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Originally Posted by shehbahn: >Granted the test is a simple 8k render of a displacement texture on a plane

Without going into the gory details of the how's & why's, that's actually a very pathological setup for prman, and definitely not representative of typical performance.
Never implied it was. Idea was to do simple tests to understand the workflow in Houdini.The Maya version is pretty straightforward. 

Old 6 Days Ago   #7
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: I assure you that render man  will NOT go open source.

But you can get a Free full feature version for non commercial use
https://renderman.pixar.com/store

It was some time ago it must have got mixed up in my mind, I guess it was the non-commercial announcement that I read.
but defiantly I am very tempted to test it, am an old Softimage user, and the past couple of years I was  bouncing around between applications and OSes trying  to find a new toolset
for me, after playing around with Modo for a while and fiddling around in blender and lately Houdini, I started to lean towards Houdini and 3Dcoat for modeling, as organic modeling is not that intuitive in Houdini, and now I was looking into Render engines with focus on the GPU Renderers, and was leaning a bit towards Redshift, then this thread pops up  and opens up a new option to look into, looking forward to the 22 release to see how the mixed CPU GPU render will preform.
Cheers 

Old 6 Days Ago   #8
at $500 a node, then $200 annual subscription fee per node, nope not looking at Renderman

The SSS shader looks nice though. Wonder how fast it is

Old 5 Days Ago   #9
Originally Posted by sentry66: at $500 a node, then $200 annual subscription fee per node, nope not looking at Renderman

700 is a bit steep, true. 

Maybe 500 all inclusive might be worth it.

At least the free version isn't crippled for evaluation purposes.

Old 5 Days Ago   #10
Good timing, because we've just released the entire presentation online, check it out!

https://renderman.pixar.com/news/pr...ience-fair-2017

Old 4 Days Ago   #11
The NPR features, the fast viewport previews + XPU look really  promising !

Old 4 Days Ago   #12
Most of us work in average \ small companies, so the first argument to choose a render is the price cost per node.
Then we talk about speed vs quality vs data amount vs problems.
I saw this conference and yeah i immediatly wanted to test the xpu of the version 22 of renderman.

well If they come back with this xpu (no more gpu vs cpu war) with a nice price\node solution they might take a lot of customers.

Old 4 Days Ago   #13
Originally Posted by JayBBK: Most of us work in average \ small companies, so the first argument to choose a render is the price cost per node.
Then we talk about speed vs quality vs data amount vs problems.
I saw this conference and yeah i immediatly wanted to test the xpu of the version 22 of renderman.

well If they come back with this xpu (no more gpu vs cpu war) with a nice price\node solution they might take a lot of customers.
Vray also just released 3.6 for Maya with Hybrid rendering so there is already competition on that front, but I am very interested to see what Renderman will do with it,
Especially that am Switching to Houdini and there is no Vray for it yet, as  you said the price is a very big factor, for me lately I go with companies that offer special Indie licenses like Houdini and Allegorithmic, and for renderers and plugins generally I look into developers that treat most of the Applications equally regarding releases and features, cause I am very much done with Autodesk.

Old 4 Days Ago   #14
The technology and engine looks great - I wish I could have given it a serious look, but the price tag - they're mainly concerned about competing with arnold and catering to large studios or single artists, but not small studios with 20-60 render nodes. Makes it hard to justify the price tag as a business decision.

It seems wrong when a render engine would cost a small studio 2-3x more annually than Maya seats - and people always complain how expensive Maya is with its subscription model.

Last edited by sentry66 : 4 Days Ago at 08:39 PM.

reply share thread