Understanding light and shadows...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

08 August 2014
[NSFW] Understanding light and shadows...

Is it me or are the shadows here wrong.

It's a beautiful piece by FiguraArto.

Link

Somehow to me the face looks wrongly lit according to the rest of the body.. Of course I'm dumb so don't know what I am talking about so was hoping you guys might help me shed more light.(PUN!)

Last edited by deohboeh : 08 August 2014 at 09:35 AM.

08 August 2014
It looks like it's you who are malfunctioning. The lightsource seems to have a center top location and the shadows appear to be correct and also the falloff. I see no problem with the shadows on her face.

Let's see what the others will comment on this.

/ Magnus

08 August 2014
Originally Posted by deohboeh: Somehow to me the face looks wrongly lit according to the rest of the body..

She is lit from above which is what gives the hotspot on her forehead. Also it's a painting and not a photo so a certain amount of style from the artist has to be expected. I think it is lit fine and is an excellent painting..

08 August 2014
Originally Posted by Magnus3D: It looks like it's you who are malfunctioning. The lightsource seems to have a center top location and the shadows appear to be correct and also the falloff. I see no problem with the shadows on her face.
/ Magnus

Is the light centre top or is it right top?
I say this because her nose seems to shadow the neck...

How is the falloff correct if on her face it is diffuse and on the body it's sharp?

08 August 2014
Originally Posted by deohboeh: Is the light centre top or is it right top?
I say this because her nose seems to shadow the neck...

How is the falloff correct if on her face it is diffuse and on the body it's sharp?

You an artist or a Physics professor?

Yes yes, I know: Realism right?

But there's also this idea where Art can be about sticking to Realism but presenting it a slightly different way.

Personally, I prefer "Box-Shading"... I think reality is overrated anyway.

08 August 2014
The shadowing on the head does have a slight mismatch to the rest of the body, but to me it mostly looks like the body was just done with less care and attention than the face.

ps. you might want to tag the content in the subject title so people don't get fired at work...

08 August 2014
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: You an artist or a Physics professor?

Yes yes, I know: Realism right?

But there's also this idea where Art can be about sticking to Realism but presenting it a slightly different way.

Personally, I prefer "Box-Shading"... I think reality is overrated anyway.

Hahahaha!!
I agree that art should not just be realistic and should be used to emphasise what the artist is wants to express. That said when this emphasis shouldn't become so stark as to stick out..

The artist seems to be influenced by the works of Carvaggio.

The dark shadows and strong highlights are prevalent in most of his pieces but the lighting feels uniform..

Over here too the lighting has been emphasised on the centre piece but the shadowing has been uniform..

Last edited by deohboeh : 08 August 2014 at 09:33 AM.

08 August 2014
Originally Posted by imashination: ps. you might want to tag the content in the subject title so people don't get fired at work...

So sorry I didn't realise.. :\

If you look the top half seems to be lit from the right while the bottom seems to be lit from the left front.. I say this because the shadowing from the breasts are different than from the nose...

Last edited by deohboeh : 08 August 2014 at 09:48 AM.

08 August 2014
I'm not sure where you are going with this nit-picking, in reference to the initial OP had indeed expressly answered by the first two thread entries.

So what is your intent? other than to solicit critique out of context in respect to the artist's comments of who's work you've linked.

Essentially he remarks that this is indeed a stepped self-learning process inspired by Baroque & Contemporary painters, I'd assume in terms of exploring chiaroscuro employed by them collectively as a stylistic element in their body of work.

Its really quite irrelevant the brush work used to express form, volume and/or shading exhibited by this nude on canvas, which is after all a quick life study for the purpose again in self exploration by him of specific aspects explicitly related to "light-dark" - the English translation of the aforementioned artistic technique.

Anyway to be blunt to use someone's else's work to leverage as an example for your biased-uninformed "opinion" is exceptionally rude, plus I'd further suggest that you research the General Techniques board if so inclined in that regard.

Last edited by sacboi : 08 August 2014 at 03:16 PM.

08 August 2014
Originally Posted by sakboi: I'm not sure where you are going with this nit-picking, in reference to the initial OP had indeed expressly answered by the first two thread entries.

So what is your intent? other than to solicit critique out of context in respect to the artist's commented intent of who's work you've linked.

Essentially he remarks that this is indeed a stepped self-learning process inspired by Baroque & Contemporary painters, I'd assume in terms of exploring chiaroscuro employed by them collectively as a stylistic element in their body of work.

Its really quite irrelevant the brush work used to express form, volume and/or shading exhibited by this nude on canvas, which is after all a quick life study for the purpose again in self exploration by him of specific aspects implicitly related to "light-dark" - the Italian translation of the aforementioned artistic technique.

Anyway to be blunt to use someone's else's work to leverage as an example for your biased-uninformed "opinion" is exceptionally rude, plus I'd further suggest that you research the General Techniques board if so inclined in that regard.

I'm sorry.. My idea has not been to discredit the artist or enforce my own opinion and biases regarding art. Art itself should be open to interpretation in my opinion. I felt something was wrong with the piece and I wanted to understand what it was. I believe the artist is better at his medium than I and am sorry if you felt this was anything more than a discussion about the lighting in the piece...

As I have mentioned in my last post that there is inconsistency in the lighting as even in Carvaggio's works the lighting is uniform and the values have been changed to highlight the subject in his pieces while maintaining consistency in the whole object. However the lighting in this is centred on one location of course it's his way of lighting if he prefers it I can't see anything wrong with it, but I feel I can learn realistic lighting more from this piece. I myself am a fan of their style (Carvaggio, Rubens, Frazetta, etc..).

Am I not allowed to discuss or critique those pieces that I find-discussion worthy as an art student? How am I supposed to get my doubts cleared without being blunt about what I feel is wrong with it?
I doubt you could learn everything by only looking at great masters and appreciating their excellence without looking at the lack of it. That doesn't mean that whose art you critique is not an accomplished artist in their own right.

08 August 2014
Maybe it would look bad if it was lit accurately, so he picked best of both worlds.

08 August 2014
@deohboeh - In hindsight I'd admit the language perhaps was a little too forthright in delivery so I apologise for that, nevertheless my point remains that the artwork you've referenced to illustrate your observation, in this case an chiaroscuro inspired executed figurative life study by a novice is an unfair comparison.

To clarify I not saying images per se cannot be used to support a specific point of view for discussion as they pertain to the premised topic by any means plus I'd agree are indeed a very useful learning tool for those starting out, & that being said hopefully you'll benefit from insights offered here by experienced people, but however in this instance the artist who is also learning will not.

In all honesty it would have been prudent to sample work from an established accomplished painter amongst those you've listed above rather than a fellow student, which eventually I hasten to add you did chose to do in a latter post.

Last edited by sacboi : 08 August 2014 at 03:30 PM.

08 August 2014
The cast shadow of her nose is not on her neck. That's just the dip of the hollow area on the neck (study anatomy and you'll learn this).

This looks like it was painted from either life or photo references, so unless the artist deviated from the actual lighting used, this should be more or less correct, although the values/contrast ratio might not be totally faithful, but that's not as big of a deal because as long as the forms read correctly, the contrast ratio isn't as important (the artist can choose to punch up the contrast for artistic effect).

You can easily set up your own version of this and check. Just use household light, a mirror (or camera), yourself as the model (or family/friend/romantic partner), and you will get similar results (despite difference in body type, as long as it's not drastically different).

reply share thread