Lighting

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 03 March 2017   #1
Lighting

I have problems with two things:
>english
>lighting

But now i want to talk about second one.

Light sourse placed directly above the object. And i dont know how light sourse lights this dude (Especially his "samurai pants").
I want show it correctly, but i want show his emotion as well. Sooo. Maybe i should change direction of light sourse or play with reflexes, but i want show his emotion as well (He is shocked, there is a lot of dead people and other stuff around him (not yet). He is the last on battlefield).
And i dont know what to do with his hairs. And i think there is problem with pose/proportions.

And one more thing. He is not human. Monkey, yeahhh.
So there is my sketch.

Old 03 March 2017   #2
It seems you've got the overall gist of the lighting down.

Whenever you're unsure about lighting, the best thing to do is to shoot your own reference photos. You have various lights in your home, so use them. If you don't have one, a portable/articulated light source is great for shooting references, because you can position the light however you like. Add a mirror and tripod (or something that can be used like a tripod), you can even use yourself as the model and shoot lots of used reference photos. Family and friends can help you too with modeling or shooting or providing clothing that somewhat matches what you're going for. In this case, the "samurai pants" you need can be approximated with other clothing or towel or sheets. Then just get a light source above the person and you've got the reference you need.

As for emotions, if he's supposed to look shocked, then you need to make sure his facial expression really sells that emotion effectively. Again, shoot references, or search for "shocked emotion" images on the web. Eyes should be bulging from the shock, eyebrows tense, nasolabial folds prominent, mouth agape, etc.

If you want this to be a full scene of narrative with all those dead bodies, you need to plan the composition from the beginning that way, instead of adding those other elements as an afterthought. Compositions can't be done like that--you need to plan them starting from the thumbnail sketch stage, so you're balancing all the elements in your visual narrative effectively from the get go.

reply share thread