WIP: Tell about old times

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #1
WIP: Tell about old times

hey all, that is my last WIP. Below I included my process.

There was a classic story that was told by our parents or our pre/ elementary teachers when we was a little child. I thought everybody ever heard about rabbit and turtle story. In the end of story we could read both of them become a good friend. In my imagination, after many years they still a friend, and had a different job. The turtle became a fatty and wealthy pirate captain and the rabbit became a experienced swordsman. In this image I want to show when they met again in turtle's ship and told about their past life.

I want to make them looked like an old friend who together drank a glass of rum and told about their past life, but I didn't sure about their expression. I still confused too about the background outside the window. My rough idea was I want to draw a low opacity sea scene with ship/s or a low opacity deep sea environment with a collection of fish. However, my second idea looks weird and make the whole image too crowded and could not show a depth. Could u give me any idea for the background or give me any critiques or advices? I want hear it. Thx

Last edited by benkulino : 09 September 2013 at 12:25 AM.

Old 09 September 2013   #2
If it's a pirate ship, why would we see deep sea environment outside? It's not a submarine, is it?

The bird cage's perspective doesn't look quite right. According to your vanishing point, the bird cage shouldn't be angled towards us that much, unless it is swinging from the ship's movement. Will there be something in the cage, like the standard pirate's parrot?

You have a vanishing point above the image for the Y axis, but it seems only the cabin is following it, while the objects in the room aren't.

Old 10 October 2013   #3
Hey all, this time i want to show my progress. That is a final image. In this final image i want to show a warm color (orange) combine with blue color, yeah we could call it complement.
I also want to clarify my rough idea, i detailed both of the characters so it would looked like an old friends who together told their story. For the background I agreed with Lunatique, that was not a submarine, so I painted a saturated rocks with a little water. Using warm color represented about warm condition, such an old friend which met again after long time not seen. In my BW process my image, i though i didn't make a good perspective, although i used a perspective line. So, I repaired some objects in order to make my image looks better . Below i included my last image. Hope u like it, and dont hesitate for giving me a critique

Old 10 October 2013   #4
Looking good.

Where's the cool color cast coming from? Is there another light source in this scene with the cooler color cast? If the warm lights are the only light sources in the scene, then it would be odd to have a cool color cast. It can be done for artistic reasons like you stated, but I find that it's usually better if there's a logical explanation for it in the scene too.

Old 10 October 2013   #5
thx Lunatique, I always hear something good from you
Yeah i agree with your opinion. In making a good art we must understand and try to combine about logical things with creative things. Adding a little blue light source will make the image looked like more logical. Some of my friends also said the depth of the image looked less, they suggested me for adding a little detail in the background, so the depth will more visible. Do u agree too?

I also wait for another user for giving me another critiques, whatever it is, i will appreciate. thx

Old 10 October 2013   #6
hey all, shalom, in this time i want to post a little detail. Giving a minor detail like an blue lamp make the image more logical and still imaginative. So, without my explanation we can know from where the blue color come from. I also add minor detail for giving a depth feel in the back of the window. Hope u all like my progress. thx all for watching my progress, and I also hope can grow become a better artist in this forum.

Old 10 October 2013   #7
If there's a window behind the viewer, showing the light from outside (moonlight maybe), then that could be a logical explanation for the cooler color cast, although moonlight is not blue, as many people mistakenly think--it's the same color as the sun, just much weaker (since the moonlight is just the moon reflecting the sunlight).

With the blue light on the left side in the cabin, you should alter how much blue there is on the right side, because the right side will have a lot of of the warm colored light reaching it, and the warm colored light is brighter than the blue light. You need to have the correct mixture based on brightness and distance of the two different colored light sources.

Old 10 October 2013   #8
I recognized my image didn't look perfect for some peoples. Some peoples could say my image needed a logical things in the middle of creative things, another people said u didn't need to express more logical things as long as your idea, mood reached to audience. In my last image, i try to make some improvement, but the result still didn't perfect and still need some correction. We could not make anyone happy, could we?

Old 10 October 2013   #9
"Some peoples could say my image needed a logical things in the middle of creative things, another people said u didn't need to express more logical things as long as your idea, mood reached to audience. In my last image, i try to make some improvement, but the result still didn't perfect and still need some correction. We could not make anyone happy, could we?"

When you receive critique, sometimes, you will receive conflicting, valid critique, and have to decide which way you want to go. Sometimes you even receive unanimous critique that is valid and good, but you would rather not take your painting down that path anyway. You do not have to apply all the changes that people suggest. Part of your voice as an artist comes from making these decisions. (Okay, if people are telling you that you drew the thumb the wrong side of the hand, you probably have to change it, but some aspects of painting don't have a right and a wrong).

For what it's worth, I think this is a great painting. I love the little parrot. The only thing, some areas do not look completely finished, like the books and the treasure chest in the foreground. You don't have to render every object in the frame, but an extra few hours attention to the details can really have an impact. Little things like making the books varying sizes, showing wear and tear on the crates, nodules, cracks and stains in the boards, or coins spilling out the chest can give a lot more life to the image.

Old 10 October 2013   #10
Stylization includes artistic license, and when you choose to purposely bend the laws of physics to achieve an artistic effect, always know exactly why you're doing it and for what effect, as opposed to it being an accident you didn't intend. That is the difference between breaking rules knowingly, and breaking them due to ignorance. Ideally, you want to always break rules because you know why you're doing it, and the result is compelling enough that none of it looks accidental/arbitrary. At least that's what I try to teach my students--learn the rules and once you have gained proficiency, try to break the rules according to your own volition.

Old 10 October 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread