ProfessorPoly - 3D Education Website

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
ProfessorPoly - 3D Education Website

Hey guys, Ive been developing a 3D game art education website in my spare time and I finally got the go ahead from my current job to be allowed to publicly talk and work on it. I'm getting close to launching it but just wanted to see if anyone had any questions or things they felt would be important or like to see out of a resource like this (Hands on demos, documents, interviews, tip of the day, etc)

The idea was to develop a website that laid out a "Roadmap" for 3d artist's to get the skills they need. So not just random tutorials but a more class like structure that you can progress through. Starting from knowing nothing to finishing with a portfolio website and applying for jobs.

I'll be updating this thread as I get closer to launching and I'm more than willing to answer any questions you guys have about it(AMA). Here is a pre-launch email signup for anyone that wants to stay in the loop. Thanks!

http://signup.professorpoly.com/

Last edited by outlawIIIwolf : 08 August 2013 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Spelling issues.

Old 08 August 2013   #2
The first thing would be to get the typos out of your post. Anything to do with education requires you to pay particular attention to the text you write. There is nothing at the 'sign in' page that would encourage anyone to give you their email address. Instead of offering to answer questions you should first provide information.

That would be my reaction .
Even so I wish you luck with your endeavors.

Old 08 August 2013   #3
Hey Kanga, Thanks for your feedback! The spelling issues were fixed so thanks for the heads up. As for the site I'm providing a set of videos and documents laid out in a "Roadmap" for people to follow. What does that mean? Well the idea is that you could come to ProfessorPoly and go from knowing nothing to a polished portfolio while not having to struggle to figure out what to learn and in what order.

Some of the initial videos are going to be learning the fundamentals of modeling, unwrapping, and texturing. Along with solid traditional art skills that help build an artists eye. The idea is create a solid foundation that artists can then use to build upon. This will be key to helping people then learn more advanced techniques such as normal maps, modular workflows, and pipeline management so they don't run into tech issues when trying to get their art into engine while also letting them become more creative.

Hope this summarizes some of your questions. I just wanted people to have the option to provide feedback if they felt like they were struggling with a particular aspect or felt a certain teaching style worked well for them. Cheers!

Old 08 August 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread