Modelling help.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Modelling help.

Hello, I'm trying to model a chocolate button which is like a disc in cinema 4D (a flat bottom and a curve towards the top) I've also took some pictures and created textures from them.

Problem is I don't know how to make a disc in cinema 4D with a curved top but circular bottom, im sure this isn't hard but please describe the steps detail since I don't use this program a lot but I can follow instructions easily. I need to be able to texture map the bottom and top separately as well, as part of the model.

Thanks for your help.

Old 10 October 2012   #2
Perhaps if you give us a reference image, then it will be possible to know what you mean.

But I guess that subdivision and boxmodeling will do the job.

Old 10 October 2012   #3
Hey

Thanks for the reply, here is a picture Buttons

Im afraid to say though what you said made no sense to me, I need the simplest way to do it since its only a basic shape but if theres a tutorial you know of feel free to send it me thank you.

Old 10 October 2012   #4
The simple shapes are the hardest...

I made a disc, but could have started with a cylinder aswell, then I extruded the polygons and dropped it in a hyper Nurbs generator... It all depends on what your final level of details will be, the image you showed demands a good shader/texture also. The attached image is just a fast hack
Attached Images
File Type: png BUTTON.png (73.5 KB, 52 views)

Old 10 October 2012   #5
Take a hemisphere and squash it, no ?

Old 10 October 2012   #6
Hello, thank you for the advice it worked perfectly. The shape is looking really nice apart from its curved on both sides. My first thought was to line up another disk on the bottom side of the model but its a bit ofset and im not sure if I can get it exactly lined up. Is there anyway to make the bottom of the 'button flat' but the top as it is?

Also, I took some pictures for real textures but I may need your advice on using my photos as textures correctly. I will ask you about that as a problem arises though.

Old 10 October 2012   #7
Thanks for the help

So far i've got this. Please view this image and tell me if I can do anything about the bottom bit. http://postimage.org/image/sejtdf4c7/

Old 10 October 2012   #8
This is how I would model it,
just took a sphere, set it to Hexahedron with 8 segments,
make it editable, delete the bottom half, squeeze it. Close
the polygon hole, make one loop cut, done. Put it in a
Hypernurbs object.
As for the texturing part, just set your projection to qubic
or uv unwrap your model.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2012-10-21 at 8.54.20 PM.jpg (13.0 KB, 33 views)

Old 10 October 2012   #9
Hi, I'm at this bit of your way of doing it pic , but I don't get what you mean by make one loop cut I went on the knife tool and selected loop it just makes weird selection shapes and doesn't do anything. The polygon hole is filled at this point.

Thank you.

Old 10 October 2012   #10
Nevermind, I found a even easier way,a hemisphere (to the poster earlier thank you but I didn't know how to make one) Then I squeezed it with and used a fill polygon effect. Wasn't that hard.

Thanks for everyone's help. I will attempt to texture now I don't know that much about setting them up correctly so I may need to ask some more questions which I'll do in this topic.

Old 10 October 2012   #11
Originally Posted by typografschaft: As for the texturing part, just set your projection to qubic
or uv unwrap your model.

Hi, this picture demonstrates the point I'm at now (texture isn't applied properly just to test)

I have no idea on UV mapping in cinema 4D to get the texture projection right, is there a simple way to do this, remember its just two sides I want texturing the curved bit at the front, and the bottom. Both textures I've made myself probably aren't the best. I will link you them to see your opinion, one isn't made into a usable form at this point though.

First texture - a real picture of the chocolate I'm modelling from.

Second texture I want this projected on the bottom, I haven't removed the background yet and made it square which I assume needs to be done.

Old 10 October 2012   #12
You could use polygon selection tags to restrict the 2 textures to the top and bottom areas respectively. Make sure the object is editable, then in polygon mode, select all the polys that should have the top texture applied. Go to the Select menu and choose Set Selection. Your object will now have a Polygon Selection Tag. Apply the material for the top to the object and then drag the top selection tag into the Selection tab of the Texture Tag. Repeat the process for the bottom texture.

Old 10 October 2012   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread