reflectance inconsitency between workstation and TRS

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

09 September 2017
reflectance inconsitency between workstation and TRS

I am getting a weird difference in my renders when rendering on the farm compared to my workstation. Speculars are blown out. Seems to be a reflectance issue. All nodes and local box are running 18.057.

Anyone ever encounter this before?

Top is how it should look (rendered on my box)
Bottom is rendered on the farm.
You can see on the bottom right how sharp the specs are.

09 September 2017
Also wondering if theres a bug in multipass. I had specular selected as a separate pass. Wondering if maybe TRS is trying to merge the specular into the beauty when it saves the file? But I still get a separate specular pass. Weird.

09 September 2017
It appears that there is a difference in how the speculars render on a Mac versus a PC.

My workstation is a mac. The farm is PC. The PC's produce the blown out reflectance speculars. Anyone know why?

09 September 2017
Hey Joel -

Is this Physical, Standard, or other render engine?

09 September 2017
physical
extra text

09 September 2017
And I wonder if you had a mixed farm, if you would see different speculars depending on which node rendered it (Mac or PC) or if they would all look blown out. I would hope they would all be blown out on a mixed farm. Then it is a controllable thing. (still not a good solution, but at least you would get consistent frames regardless of Node platform)

Do you have another network renderer laying around you could try a few frames on?

09 September 2017
I would be tempted to add your mac as a render machine and run a few frames, making note of which one(s) the Mac renders. Of course this assumes you have lots of free time on your hands, which I'm sure you don't.

reply share thread