Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
eyellusion

portfolio
Bjoern Kaehler
Aschaffenburg, Germany

Lightbulb eyellusion - mattepainting WIP-thread

Hey fellow artists,
since i am starting to get into mattepainting i decided to open a thread here to share my work in progress and first trial and error paintings with you. I appreciate any kind of constructive feedback from all of you in order to improve my skills and learn the craft.

a little bit of information about myself:
I am a 19 year old artist from Germany currently working as a 3D and VFX Intern at Pixomondo Images. My next goal is to start studying at university to have more time experimenting and improving. If you have any questions about myself, dont hesitate to ask

Ok lets start with my very first mattepainting WIP, tell me what you think about it :

This was done for my application project for university and is actually a 3d mattepainting projected and animated. I plan to insert a waterfall in the foreground lets see if i find the time to do this. Thanks for your feedback and see you soon

Old 04-09-2013, 01:06 AM   #2
Ackdoh
www.davidluong.net

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
David Luong
Senior Cinematic II Artist
Blizzard Entertainment
Irvine, United States

Allo Bjoern,

Welcome to the forum and having your own thread here! I think that's a great idea. So let's start out with the foundation of a matte painting, supporting a story. I tell my students before they start on anything, that the first thing they should create is a story, and then have the images guided by that story through out. For your WIP, do you have a story that you wanted conveyed or supported in this image? It'll help you, and me give you a better critique on which direction to go as far as focus and subject. For the overall picture, I think your WIP could benefit from a more strong idea of where you are and what your'e trying to achieve, be it just a place or why we're so high in this vantage point. If it's just a place, that's to

General critiques are:

- The middle mountains and sky are very bright and clipping out whites
- Horizon of mountain and clouds/sky is dipping strangely down on the right
- I think you wanted the foreground to be in shadow? You can make it go even darker as you're exposing for the back mountains/sky. Beware that the foreground stuff is clipping out already, so you may have to find a more environment filled type texture photo for the FG to replace it with.
- If light direction is coming from left, your sky gradient should be brightest on the left, then go more neutral to the right, and darker top right.
- Clouds themselves are looking a little too big with the puffy cumulus ones with their horizon being a little low, try raising them up, and having smaller ones (wider focal length type)

Try those out and let us know

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

http://photonicplayground.com art gallery!

Old 07-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
seemaschere
www.seemaschere.com

portfolio
Seema Schere
Matte Painter
Mr X Inc
Toronto, Canada

David has made some really good points. Try to lead the viewers eye and help tell a story. To quickly get this into the same world and be able to continue working on it I would also balance out the colors and definitely listen to David's note about the clipping. Your highlights are really blown out. Keep it up; this is a really good start for a first matte painting!

Old 07-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
eyellusion

portfolio
Bjoern Kaehler
Aschaffenburg, Germany

new mattepainting :)

hey there,
thanks alot for your responses and advice. I did alot of trial and error over the last months and finally i made a piece i am quite happy with how it turned out, trying to incorporate some of your advice (i didnt feel motivated yet to revisit the MP from my first post but i think i will do that when i find more time) :

and a stillframe of the final moving shot, still alot of issues with the projections but it turned out ok i hope

the moving shot can be found here:

https://vimeo.com/70099851

Old 07-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread